sick cory just died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
fisrst of all im new to this site and im a newbie to this hobbie and had no idea about cycling and just added fish i started with 4 juli corys, 1 guppy, and 1 algae eater (siamese maybe) the guppy died within a day i believe it was bc of walmarts poor water conditions. and a week later my cory has died of ammonia poisoning? can you help me make sure that is what it was? the top of its fins were red and around the gills also. i sarted to add melafix ( a medication for fish made from tea trees that is supposed to help fish heal) i also did a 25% water change a day and vacumed every other day. i recently concluded that i have been overfeeding and am fixing that with smaller feedings. im really trying to keep my 3 corys alive. they also have the red but not as severly and are stilll very active. i test my ammonia everyday and i add strees zhyme and a dechlorinator to new water. is there anything else i can do to keep ammonia poisoning from killing my fish and does anybody think this could be anything else? last thing when i found the dead cory half of its body was white i think it may have been bone could my cory cats have eatin eat or what? thnks

Sounds like ammonia poisoning. :( Clean water is the best way to go, and I would go get some Prime (water conditioner/dechlorinator), which will help detoxify the ammonia and nitrites, while helping with the cycle. Also, don't vacuum as often as you are, only do 1/2 the tank maybe twice a week, depends on how much left over food you have in there. Every time you vacuum, you take out the good bacteria that you need.

Back
Top Bottom