Sick danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hils

Aquarium Advice Regular
My lovely mumma danio is poorly.
She's gasping, and looking like a pinecone.
I checked the parameters, ammonia was up to 0.25-0.5 so I did a 50% water change and gave it a good gravel vac. Is there anything I can do for her?
I have her separated now in a container within the tank, but I really don't want to loose her.
My tank is a 60L planted tank, with danios, minnows and bristle nosed catfish.

It sounds like dropsy, which unfortunately is generally incurable and fatal. Any treatments are really a crapshoot. You can try salt or antibiotics, as dropsy can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or other infectious microbes.

It sounds like dropsy, which unfortunately is generally incurable and fatal. Any treatments are really a crapshoot. You can try salt or antibiotics, as dropsy can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or other infectious microbes.

So get rid of her then? Is it going to kill the rest of my fish?

That can be tricky. It may not, but it could. I've cured dropsy with melafix, but that only works for gram negative bacterial causes. Unfortunately dropsy (like user above said) can be caused by many things.

Dropsy is very, very rarely contaigous. I wouldn't worry about it too much although euthanizing the fish might be your most humane option.

Back
Top Bottom