Sick featherfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stoney_8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, yesterday we noticed our featherfin catfish was out and about more than usual. On closer inspection we noticed his belly very bloated. The next evening his eyes appear very swollen. He is so fat now he can't go back into his cave. He is around 2 yr old, and has been happy and healthy in our community tank for this time. Nothing has changed recently. He is very sluggish and doesn't appear to be eating now...he does seem to be getting worse.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers Stoney

Best advice with info given is to do large water change(s)....
Good luck.

Done a partial water change about a week ago. Thinking maybe that has triggered it? But we have done so many, and this one was no different.

What do you feed him?

Caleb

We feed frozen bloodworms, tropical flakes and algae discs..zucchini once a week.. But he doesn't come out much at feeding time so I don't think he would get all that? We also have a fully grown gold spotted pleco in the tank and a smaller bristle nose with 3 fully grown silver dollar and fully grown Angel fish, clown loaches and Pakistani loach, silver shark and rainbow shark as well

We feed frozen bloodworms, tropical flakes and algae discs..zucchini once a week.. But he doesn't come out much at feeding time so I don't think he would get all that? We also have a fully grown gold spotted pleco in the tank and a smaller bristle nose with 3 fully grown silver dollar and fully grown Angel fish, clown loaches and Pakistani loach, silver shark and rainbow shark as well

Hmm I've heard of parasites from frozen foods (I feed them myself). Not likely but is possible?

Have you actually tested the water just to check and see?

Caleb

No have not tested water? What should test for? PH? This is what I would normally test for? Not an overall experienced fish keeper, but never had any problems and have had these fish for over 2 years.

No have not tested water? What should test for? PH? This is what I would normally test for? Not an overall experienced fish keeper, but never had any problems and have had these fish for over 2 years.

Ammonia and nitrate are the 2 big ones I would test for

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom