Sick fish - TB, parasite, bacteria? DIAGNOSIS (pics included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The fish of a friend of mine fell sick last week. I visited to personally inspect, and believe it to be Gram-positive mycobacteria (Mycobacterium marinum or M. fortuitum) which is basically fish tuberculosis (TB) or piscine tuberculosis.

While it seems as though that's the diagnosis, what does everyone here think? As far as I know, there's no cure, even though it is bacterial in nature.

They are treated with API's General Cure and a 7-day cycle of antibiotics with semi-frequent RO water changes @ 20% every 3 days and feeding New Life Spectrum Probiotic fish food and Thera+A.

What are you thoughts on how to help? Although they quarantined the molly in a 5g hospital tank, the other tankmates are healthy and thriving (strong color, energy, appetite, and spines).

• Picture 1 below = HEALTHY
  • Picture 2 below = LAST 5 DAYS

Attachments

• Rona good.jpg
    Rona good.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Rona bad.jpg
    Rona bad.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 64
Would think either the faster bacteria / internal parasites (rather than say just old age) due to speed. In practice I must admit I mainly just put the fish down now.

Would think either the faster bacteria / internal parasites (rather than say just old age) due to speed. In practice I must admit I mainly just put the fish down now.

Culling these types is a good practice, financially, and I'd even contend it helps with their pain levels... however, this hobbyist is someone I got "into" the hobby, and they are more than willing to spend $40+ on supplies and medications to save one $4 molly.

In reference to your post above, this fish is only 2-3 months old, so age wouldn't be a big factor.

Do you have any suggestions beyond what I already referred them to do?

Yeah, I used to do that with meds as well but I found success rate was low with small fish.

I’d try a salt treatment at something like 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon. Either a dip or build up to that in QT.

You could also try two treatments back to back of furan 2 (although tbh I suspect we both agree odds are low).

Yeah, I used to do that with meds as well but I found success rate was low with small fish.

I’d try a salt treatment at something like 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon. Either a dip or build up to that in QT.

You could also try two treatments back to back of furan 2 (although tbh I suspect we both agree odds are low).

Your help is very...well, helpful! Honestly, while I know we all in one way or another don't "want" to spend a week's time of worry, money, and effort to save a fish -- the reality is we love these little guys, and while I totally know there's a break-even point when something has to 'give', if we/she can help either the fish (or her conscience knowing she did all she could) it makes a big difference.

It's hard for me just to cull the deformed guppies from my live bearer tank, and I know that's for their own good -- so this person I'm helping with advice is even more emotionally attached to her fish because she "only" has 2 aquariums, and really enjoys them.

I've seen videos "Girl Talks Fish" I believe, on YT, about salt treatments working well -- would you mind shooting over a quick dosing protocol on a single 5g hospital tank with the one molly?

THANK YOU!

No worries, I’ve copied in a link as sometimes people like to work in percentages or like to work in tablespoons per gallons. Hopefully helps.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Salt

For a 5 gallon QT, I’d start at 1 teaspoon / gallon of water, after 6 hrs dose to 1 tablespoon / gallon, after 6 hrs dose to 2 tablespoons / gallon (US).

I play it by ear a bit on how well the fish is coping/adjusting versus how urgent it is. On the good news side I’ve found even tetras and angelfish handle the salt quite well. Mollies should be fine.

One guy here reported success doing dips at saltwater strength. So far I’ve found the SW dips knock them around a bit / seems harder for them to handle but I don’t have a fish room so this is just ime over the years (not out treating fish every other week thankfully).

Keeping water the same temperature is my suggestion. Increased temperatures I find will speed up bacterial infections. I definitely don’t subscribe to the idea that increased temperature speeds up fish metabolism to fend off bacterial infections as it’s never worked for me. And the usual keeping good water conditions of not letting organic muck build up in hospital tank.

Last edited:
Thanks, Delapool! I went with my friend to get aquarium salt tonight... but it appears the Molly won't live much longer. Your insight helped for possible future scenarios big time.

Back
Top Bottom