sick glo fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sick glo fish and can't figure out what is wrong. Have tested the water and all parameters except Ph are normal. Ph is at a 6. All the other fish in the 10 gallon aquarium are fine. The glo fish is barely swimming and keeps getting trapped by the filter. I have moved it to another tank and added Maracyn in case I missed something. The gills look pinker than normal but no other signs of disease. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can help this fish?

My tank has been running for almost a year now. I have 2 glofish, 2 long finned zebra dannios, 2 glass catfish, 2 gold pristella tetras, and 1 amano shrimp.

LFSs sell Glo fish that would be culled if they were regular danios. Glo fish are genetically modified with jellyfish genes to get those colors. They're patented, so the patent holding company charges a royalty per fish, making them expensive. As a result the breeders can't afford to cull too many fish.

Red gills are usually a sign of ammonia poisoning, but if your tank parameters are in order, it might just be that fish's time. Sorry.

That's what I was thinking. We are trying to help the little guy but I am not sure if there is anything else to do. Thanks for getting back to me.

Back
Top Bottom