Sick gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NelMel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have had a common goldfish in a 55g tank along with three other community fish and a pleco.
Went on holidays in November for 10 days and had someone checking fish while I was gone and I had put on vacation feeders.
I returned home to a mess and have been trying to get my goldfish 10 years old) to live through it.
Ok here goes. Late November clamped dorsal fin upon returning from holiday. Way to much food was going into tank while gone. Did a 25% water change and gf seemed to perk up. He had what looked like a bruise on his side. I then got two other common gf to join him because I thought he might be lonely. They are very little. The bruise turned into a site that I treated with tetracycline for four days. This medication required two 25% water changes during the four days. After the treatment, I was getting bubbles and scum on the top of the tank so took in a water sample to pet store. She said it was fungal and to treat tank again. So I did a fungal/bacterial treatment. That treatment was suppose to stay in for four days but after two days my gf developed pop eye and seemed to be swelling up on his body and fill function seemed limited. I did a 40% water change and put the carbon filters back in. I have been skimming the scum from the top of the tank. I took another 5 gallons of water off again this morning. I'm worried I am messing up all the good bacteria in the tank. The pet store person said the tetracycline would not mess with ph, nitrates or nitrites but while reading online it looks like the bubble/scum layer on top may be protein? I don't think my tank was this bad when I first started it. All of this is telling me how little I really know about my tank. Can anyone tell me what to do? I think the pop eye is from unbalanced water. The bubbles are clearing up a bit on top of the water and it seems I have some clear patches of water near the filter now.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do a big water change first.

Test your water ASAP. You need to know what your water is doing. Esp ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

Common GF do best in Ponds or large tanks. I would consider just keeping him , the 10yo GF, and rehoming other fish.

Or consider a bigger tank.

The Pleco is an issue. They are poop machines just like GF.

If you want to keep all 4 fish ?

Short Term, massive filtration. You want a canister that can do at least 4x the size of tank. So a 55g you want 200-300g of filtration.

Obviously you have done something right to keep him alive 10yrs. But he can live another 10yrs or more with good care going foreword.

There are vids on DIY Ponds. You could do a Rubbermaid 300g stock tank pond. You can DIY a filter as well.

Future tank size if you don't want a pond ? 150-200g if possible.
Plecos get 12" or more. Common GF get 12-18".
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420523345.358548.jpg

Stunted fish don't live as long.

Clean water and room to grow will help.

You can get a customised tank done reasearchbon line I have a 119gallon for my 6 fancy goldfish. Its like an indoor pond but a massive 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank. He would do well on his own in a tank that size

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Obvs the bigger the better

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the info. I got a water testing kit that said I needed to do a water change. I did a 25% replacement and it was too hard on him. He started floating to the top, upside down, etc. I was actually surprised the test results said to do a water change because over the last 2 weeks I have done three water changes with medications and scum layer. Anyway, thank you.

Did you use prime or a dechlorinator on the tap water before you added it ??

I always add Prime to my bucket of tap water, so I know I did it. I'm paranoid about forgetting.

Thank you for the info. I got a water testing kit that said I needed to do a water change. I did a 25% replacement and it was too hard on him. He started floating to the top, upside down, etc. I was actually surprised the test results said to do a water change because over the last 2 weeks I have done three water changes with medications and scum layer. Anyway, thank you.

I'm sorry you lost the fish. ?

What were the test results ?

Do you still have live fish ?

I always put an additive in my bucket that removes chlorine and chloramine and has slime coat boosters etc.
I think I had my water messed up since late November and he had been through the ringer and the water change was the last straw. He still had pop eye. My other fish have handled the water change so far no problem. I think my big gold fish was in a weakened state and wouldn't have come back from all he had been through. I didn't think I would be attached to a fish but he has been around since I set up my tank 10 years ago. I have the two smaller gold fish now so I will do better by them. I have another question about tanks but I will open a new thread or maybe someone has posted info on that. Oh, I did add another filter to my tank as well to help with waste. That is 100gal of filtration as well as a bubbler. (55 gal tank).

The test results said >50 ?ppm? I don't remember the measurements off the top of my head but the booklet that came with the tests (liquid) recommended 25% change.

Back
Top Bottom