sick guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shuvit

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, sorry ive not done all the profile info, I'm on my phone.
I've notices this evening One of my guppies has a very thin white string coming from it and looks pregnant. I'm pretty sure he's male though :-s had a problem with fin rot and lost 6 guppies after our red tailed shark started nipping them at night. Shark has gone now.
Had water tested at lfs and everything ok except nitrates which were sky high.
Tank was bought second hand (125l) with a few platies, 2 loaches, Apple snail, shark, 2 mollies and a sailfin Molly. We kept a third of the water to transport it and topped up with clean water when we got home. I've since found out that most of the filter media was missing and in seriously poor condition.
All this has been sorted now (old media left in for now too) weekly 50% water changes, aquarium salt and myxazin course started.

Sorry for the long post, I just don't want to lose any more fish. Wish I had stayed with just my little 60l tank! :-(

You'll probably find it had internal parasites. Did it have a long tail? Was it brightly coloured? If so it was a male.

Type of food

When the white poop happened did you just bring them home? What kind of food do you feed? Did you quarantine first?

Could it have been a food you fed them? I fed mine a different food and they pooped what looked white and was actually green. (Algae tablets)

It wasn't like poo at all, it was really thin and went way past his tail fin it was so long. Like stretched chewing gum.

did it fall off eventually? Any other signs after it was gone?

I woke up this morning and my guppy had almost the same thing, cottony almost? She apparently just gave birth and I found fry. It maybe afterbirth type stuff.

Back
Top Bottom