Sick guppy in a fish bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZLX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new in this hobby as well as to this board. 4-6 weeks ago, I received an 23-liter aquarium as a gift and eventually 12 guppies. My pre-teen kids love it and even gave names to all of them :ermm:
We lost one a few weeks ago and last week, I noticed that one of them had what looked like worms sticking out of possibly the anus.
After long research, my best guess was that it's infected with Camallanus worms. Assuming that the diagnostics was accurate, i researched for treatment and eventually settled on Levamisole which was ordered yesterday.

As the others show no signs yet, I decided to isolate the one with the symptoms. Since I don't have a quarantine tank or even additional filters or air pumps, I decided to keep it in a large glass bowl.
The fish is at the bottom of the bowl, sometimes even lying sideways. I'm not sure if I'll get the treatment on time, or even if the fish has enough energy to go through a treatment. I'm changing half of the water everyday by bringing in water from the "normal" tank (I take out maybe an 1/8th).

Am I wasting my time? More importantly, am I torturing this fish? Is it time to euthanize?

Both my kids were crying in front of the tank today for well over an hour when I told them that I wasn't sure if it will survive!

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

Your answer is in the title. Guppies need at least a 10g tank imo. A fish bowl is too small for anything except shrimp and snails. It's a common mistake for those new to the hobby and is often sold by LFS employees as being perfectly fine.

I would euthanize with clove oil, get a bigger tank, cycle it properly (going to the getting started section and reading the articles in the sticky), and start over.

Get that new tank and we will be glad to help make sure you are successful.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Your answer is in the title. Guppies need at least a 10g tank imo. A fish bowl is too small for anything except shrimp and snails. It's a common mistake for those new to the hobby and is often sold by LFS employees as being perfectly fine.

I would euthanize with clove oil, get a bigger tank, cycle it properly (going to the getting started section and reading the articles in the sticky), and start over.

Get that new tank and we will be glad to help make sure you are successful.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

S/he put the guppy in the bowl to quarantine it while treating it. We don't know how big her actual tank is. I hope the treatment is successful and your guppy gets better. I know how it feels to see your kids cry over the loss of a pet.
She needs advice about the treatment and its likelihood of success, as she doesn't want the fish to suffer unnecessarily. Not every thread has to be about overstocking and cycling. Let's stay on topic and offer on topic advice if we have it, and if we don't, we can always say "I wish you good luck."

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your replies.
Just to clarify the question is about the sick guppy in a fish bowl.
The others are in a 23-liter fluval edge tank. Based on my water checks, all seems to be normal levels.
Do I kill the sick fish or I wait?
thx,
Greg

Thanks for your replies.
Just to clarify the question is about the sick guppy in a fish bowl.
The others are in a 23-liter fluval edge tank. Based on my water checks, all seems to be normal levels.
Do I kill the sick fish or I wait?
thx,
Greg

In regards to mar23,

This thread is fine if it turns into a cycling thread. In the end that's what needs to happen,

OP: look into a 10 gallon tank, also I would euthanize the sick fish with clove oil
Or drop him into a bowl of water that's starting to freeze. Do not put him in the freezer. What test kit are you using? How often are you doing water changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I read it wrong ? I'll admit. But that still doesn't change the fact that 12 guppies were in a 6 gallon tank. There's the problem. And not knowing if the tank was even cycled or not.

If you want 12 guppies just go ahead and bump it up to a 15-20 gallon tank so they have plenty of swimming space. I keep 7 in a 45 gallon community and they are all over the tank all the time because they have the space to Swim.

I'm sorry for your loss, truly, but steps need to be made for the survival of the rest of your fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You can get a 10 gallon tank, filter and a little heater for $30 at Walmart and it will be fine. My point is, that many guppies in a small tank. One problem is going to lead to another. It could be ich next from the stress of the current tank and that can wipe out your whole stock.

Just trying to look towards the future to prevent the rest of the stock from having the same fate.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the advice Caleb. I realize that the recommended size is necessary. Unfortunately, it's not an option. I don't have the required approval form WAF-204 :)

Thanks for the advice Caleb. I realize that the recommended size is necessary. Unfortunately, it's not an option. I don't have the required approval form WAF-204 :)

Well then I scrap the guppies and do shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom