Sick Kissing Gourami and Balloon Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

braveheartfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm a new member and was hoping for some advice... I have 30 gallon tank with about 10 tropical fish total. The tank has been established for about 2 years in my current residence and I did a pretty large water change (half tank) a couple of weeks ago. Since that water change I've been having some issues... I've lost about 4 neon tetras and now one of my balloon mollies has been swimming upside down for the last couple of days. To add to that, one of my 2 beautiful kissing fish (gourami's) is not looking good at all. His eyes are going cloudy and red... as is his skin... and he looks really sick. He's been like this for a similar time as the molly (2 days?).

I've tried to look up what it could be and it appears to possibly be a some type of bacterial infection. I had a similar issue with another fish (long finned danio) about 5 months or so ago and he passed after a 3 week brave battle. During that time, I had dosed the tank with Melafix and given him an epsom salt bath, I also boiled peas and put them in a net for him to eat. It unfortunately didn't get him back to a healthy state.

Now that I'm experiencing a similar type deal with the molly (inverted swimming) and the gourami (red eyes, skin), I'm wondering what I should do. I still have some Melafix so I just dosed the tank with that and I also added about 4 tablespoons of Aquarium salt today. Do I continue as instructed on the Melafix label to dose the tank every day for a week? Should I be putting both fish in a 10 minute Epsom salt bath daily to help them recover?

I did a water test with my API test kit a couple of days ago and all levels looked OKAY... so I can't really figure out what's gone wrong. The only thing I noticed was that my water temp was kinda high at around 84 degrees... I lowered it and it's currently around 78 degrees. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do next I'm all ears. Thanks for any and all input!

Welcome braveheartfish!

Water change that is the first thing.

Often if it has been a while since a previous water change, the difference in the old tank water and the new tank water can really stress the fish.

Did you change the filter pads or rinse the media in tap water that wasn't dechlorinated.

If the test kit still in date/ not expired?

Add new fish?

Those are symptoms of something not right in the water.

Back
Top Bottom