Sick male molly..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbird08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 29 gallon tank with 5 fish, we recently had one if our female Molly's die randomly over night with out any sign of disease... Now our male Molly is somewhat wobbling around and swims with his tail down, head up...his colors have also changed a bit. He went from pure white with vibrant yellow and blue tint to a white with black tint, he is very lathargic and just moseys around aimlessly. He used to swim around and raise his sail fin to the ladies and act like hes the coolest thing since sliced bread but as of today hes just down in the dumps and we're really worried about him. I really want to help him out but I really don't know what is wrong with him or where to even start! So any help would be much appreciated. Also none of the other fish in the tank are sick they all are very active and happy.

Hi and welcome to AA!

Sorry about your fish :(

Some questions so we can help you better:

How long has the tank been running with the fish?

Do you know your water parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)?

What is your water change schedule and when did you last perform one? What dechlorinator do you use?

If it's a new tank it probably isn't cycled, which means your fish are dying of ammonia poisoning. Take a look here: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

In any case I would do a very large water change (water changes can't hurt) ASAP until we figure out what's going on.

Hello and thank you for your help! The tank has been running for over a month. We live in the country ad have well water, I haven't checked the levels yet he just started showing signs of being sick late last night early today..I did a 20% water change today and all of the others were quiet happy about that, the water never seems murky, smelly or anything so that's a plus..the water is clear but, evaporates quiet fast I would say 5-10% evaporates a week so were constantly having to add water to it. and I thought it was odd for something to just now occur after so long..but we're new to the fish and don't really know a lot about them. I hope that gives you a little more informations and hopefully you can help me out with any more advice! Thanks!!

Well I just got home and Mr. Molly was at the bottom of the tank quiet stiff...so sad, I feel terrible. I will go buy a testing kit tomorrow before anyone else gets sick! Hopefully it's something simple to fix.

Sorry about your fish! After only a month it's probably still cycling. Get that water test kit ASAP (get a liquid kit, like the API Master, not strips which are cheaper but also not accurate). You mayh want to do a larger water change than 20% right now, especially if you don't know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels, just to be on the safe side do a larger change, at least 50% (don't forget to add dechlorinator!). Are you adding dechlorinator when you top up the tank? YOu want to be sure you do that also. What kind of filter is on the tank? Is there any surface agitation? This can be good for oxygen exchange and help the fish breathe. You might want to invest in an air pump and air stone as well.

Get that test kit, do another larger water change, and post your test results here and see how the fish do.

Well that is what we will do then! I woke up this morning and the one Molly that is left is starting the aimless swimming now...time to go to the pet store! Could this be that livebearer disease, since it's only effecting the Molly fish in my tank? Just curious. Thanks!

What other fish do you have in the tank? Some fish are more susceptible to ammonia poisoning and water quality than others, but at some point they'll all be affected. It's hard to tell what is exactly going on since your tank seems to be cycling. The first priority would be to get the water tested and see where you are there and get the levels down if needed through water changes and then see if that helps and if not, start diagnosing from there. It's great your'e taking quick action to help your fish! :)

We have 2 Dwarf Gourami and 1 Rainbow shark...they haven't shown any signs of distress or sickness.

We are going to take a water sample to Petco today to have it tested That way we can get whatever it is we need to fix this problem while we're there! Thank you for your help :)

mollies like a little salt in there water. I'd suggest adding a table spoon or 2 to your tank. Not to brackish conditions, but something to help them out. Also consider dosing Melafix, as an antibiotic. Turn off your lights to reduce stress, and as the other people said do a water change, but no more than 20%. Stress in fish is the number 1 concern right now. If you stress your fish too much whatever he's under may finish him off.

I respectfully disagree that potentially helpful water changes should be minimized or avoided because they can stress the fish too much. Are they stressful to fish? Yes, but they are also necessary. Is ammonia poisoning more stressful? Yes.

Also be careful about going to the pet store! Don't let them sell you any more fish and don't listen to what they say. Usually their advice is to "use" fish to "cycle" and not to change the water very often. This will cycle the tank, but it will also kill and injure your fish. Up to you who you listen to, but they're aim is to make a profit. Also if you have them test the water don't let them tell you it is "fine." Have them write the numbers down and post them here. I again advise you to get your own test kit. Good luck!

Well I will take a sample to the pet store only because it's a 40 minute drive an would be a pain to drive there to get a test kit then drive all the way back to get whatever we need to fix the issue...will the salt hurt the Rainbow shark or Gourami? If not I will add a tablespoon to the tank. Is there a specific salt I have to buy or can I use table salt? I will post on here from my phone as soon as they give me the result of the test. I did a water change yesterday so I'm not sure if I should do another one today?

If you're going to the pet store anyway you can pick up some aquarium salt. I'm not sure about the salt with your other fish though so you might want to double-check that first, you might need to return or rehome your other fish if they aren't compatible. Also I think your shark is going to outgrow your tank pretty fast, I think they need at least a 50 gal tank, but I'm just going by what I've read.

As far as the water changes, the test results of your water are going to be an indication of what's going on and whether another water change is necessary and how much.

Problem solved! Water test showed water was perfect...I added the salt to the tank and the last Molly is now swimming around like she was never sick! Happy happy! Thank you all! :)

glad it worked for you. My lyretail molly is the same way. Every once and awhile he starts to get a little "fresh." so, I add a little aquarium salt, just a tiny bit. He perks up, and none one is the wiser.

I have one other question about the salt... Is this something I need to constantly do or just when they seem a little down? The box I bought said to add 1tbs per 5 gallons so that's what I did and they are all very lively today.

The shark found a new home...he was chasing everyone in the tank. Probably because like you said they need 55 gal min. Which we didn't realize when we bought him..now he is in a much bigger tank. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom