Sick Pleco? w/pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgreenslade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but I am wondering if anyone can help me out? I have a new 90 gallon planted aquarium that I have setup and cycled. I've added 6 fish so far (5 Cardinal Tetra's and 1 Bristlenose Pleco).

The Pleco has what look likes sores or white/blueish wound on his side by his mouth, they are somewhat raised above the skin. He also keeps fluttering all 4 of his side fins and tails, it almost looks as though he's vibrating. (Poor guy).

I will add some pics here, can someone please help me out?

Regards,
DG

Attachments

• Pleco.jpg
    Pleco.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 174
Does it look cottony?
What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)
What is your water changing schedule?
How long have you had the pleco?

Does it look cottony?
What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)
What is your water changing schedule?
How long have you had the pleco?

Hi Darby, thanks for quick reply! It does look a little "cottony" actually. Here are the answers to your other questions:

Ammonia: .25
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

I do weekly water changes of around 10%

I've had the Pleco now for 4 days.

If you can tell me anything else, that would be great. I appreciate the help and interest. Thank you very much!

Regards,
DG

Ok, make SURE that ammonia doesn't go over .25. Sounds like the tank is still going thru the nitrogen cycle. :(
You will need to do more water changes to keep the ammonia down, like 2-3 changes a week. Most people on here change 25-50% of their water once a week.

As for the white stuff: it was probably an injury that got infected with a fungus. I would go get some Melafix and Pimafix and start dosing the tank. They are all natural so they won't kill the beneficial bacteria that you are trying to grow and they won't harm the other fish you have.
I think the directions are to dose for 7 days. Make sure you do a water change before you put the first dose in, and don't change any water until the 7 days are up. If you need to use them for more than 7 days, that's fine too. After 4-5 days, you should see the fungus start to disappear. Also, make sure you remove the carbon from the filter before you dose the meds.

Hey,

Great, thanks for the advice. I will start doing what you recommended, thanks for all of the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just did a 10% water change :)

Regards,
DG

Definitely do bigger water changes. At least 30%.

At the moment I am limited to doing 10% a day. I will continue to do 10% a day for 3-4 days a week until things are more stable. Thanks for the advice and help, I appreciate it.

Regards,
DG

Darby,

I have started treatment with your suggestions of using Melafix and Pimafix. It's looking like his injury is starting to improve!

Thanks for your advice (he thanks you too) :)

Regards,
DG

What's limiting you to doing 10% water changes?

When the fish heals and you're back to doing weekly water changes, 10% is not going to cut it and you'll be having other problems in the future.

I've recently bought more buckets, I only had one before. I now have 3-4 buckets ready, after using Prime and letting it sit for a couple of days.

So I am now capable of doing 25-30% water changes.

I am happy to hear he is getting better!!! If you need to do the treatments for more than 7 days, that's okay. I had to go to 10 days for fungus once.

Back
Top Bottom