Sick Pristella Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I have a sick Pristella Tetra who is missing its tail and looks to have some kind of white spot on its head? I have had this fish about 6 or 7 years so I'm thinking maybe he is getting sick from old age? I have attached a photo, any advice would be greatly appreciated. His schooling friends have all passed on already so he is the only one left. All of the other fish appear to be healthy, although two weeks ago I did have a harlequin rasbora with a swim bladder problem who has since passed away, not sure if that is related. He seems to be swimming normally, is there anything I can do for him? Just doing a water change right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

All of the fish are old and I'm just kind of letting nature take its course with these babies and won't add any new fish until that happens.

Stock: Cherry barbs x 7
Glass fish x 1
Harlequin rasbora x 3
Black skirt tetra x2
Peppered cory x 3
Pristella tetra x 1
Nerite snail x 3
Bristlenose pleco x 2
clown pleco x 1

I do weekly water changes 30-40% water changes.

Temp: 77F
Parameters
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Attachments

• Pristella Tetra.jpg
    Pristella Tetra.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 14
Is it a planted tank? Trying to think of something you could try that doesn’t risk rest of tank.

Here I’d try melafix or pimafix as I’ve found they don’t damage plants (if you have any). I’d dose near filter or mix in bucket of water at water change so it is well dispersed. Keep an eye on other fish after dosing.

I find these are not very strong meds but sometimes kick-start an improvement.

Personally I think I’d just send him off to the fish home in the sky if gets any worse.

it is planted yes. That's kind of what I was thinking it might be time to go to heaven, I don't want him to be in pain nor affect any of the other fish. If I was going to do so how would I go about that. I have read so many different things online I'm not sure what I feel is the most humane. Maybe the clove oil and alcohol?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom