Sick RAM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tornadonick

Aquarium Advice Freak
a couple weeks ago i got my self a couple of german blue rams, everything went great for awhile and then my smaller one started picking on my big one, which is interest because if they get into it, he cant compete with the bigger one. My black skirts also get into it and kind of keep the peace, fun to watch.
now this morning i turned on there light and the smaller one is very very pale, i dont have the ability to get pics up right now but can in a couple hours. Maybe he is just stressed?

But him in another tank for awhile maybe it is stress and all the getting picked on will eventually kill him....IMO

Water params? If your water params are fine, then yes, he may just be stressed. Fish can harass each other to death.
I agree, you should take him out of the tank if you can. But, still test the water params. What size is the tank? Do you know the genders of the rams?

its a 29 gallon tank, and i believe they are both female but can not say for certain. he is actually the one that attempts to pick on them but doesnt really succeed, its not so much that he is getting picked on, my water peramters are fine but i cant give you exact numbers right now, i know ammo. and nitrites are 0.

its a 29 gallon tank, and i believe they are both female but can not say for certain. he is actually the one that attempts to pick on them but doesnt really succeed, its not so much that he is getting picked on, my water peramters are fine but i cant give you exact numbers right now, i know ammo. and nitrites are 0.
Rams are sensitive to nitrate as well. Once established, they can be hardy, but the acclimation process is very important for them. IME, rams are fairly peaceful and they may wrestle around, but not cause any real harm. But, fish are individuals.
Try to get the exact water params and that should help. What sort of test kit do you have?

I have the API master kit. acclimation took nearly 3 hours and was about 2 weeks ago, i do not believe nitrates are a problem but you never know. i can have more info up in an hour.

With my rams, they often died for no apparent reason. One day a fish would go pale, possibly start breathing heavily, next day gone. Have tried different meds, QT, stocking, etc but never figured it out. It didn't happen with the juveniles but normally with the adults, after a year or two that'd be it.

This has happened with multiple fish and different healthy breeding stock.

Needless to say, I'm over them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom