Sick seahorse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My baby Erectus seahorse does not seem as active and isn't eatting that much anymore. She seems really weak and just floats with the current or hangs out at the bottom of the tank. Today all she had was 2 pieces of mysis shrimp. The other seahorse in the tank seems perfectly fine. She eats very well and is super active. I originally bought 2 seahorses back in April. One of them died for no reason. I did a water change and bought another for the other seahorse that was alive...now that original seahorse is declining. I'm not sure if it's the my tank or the people I'm buying the seahorses from because it's making me very worried. Ph: 8.1 ammonia: 0 nitrites: 0 nitrates: 0 specific gravity: 1.024Image1497717486.941747.jpgImage1497717501.874412.jpg

not very familiar with sea horses but have you done anything new to the tank.
I see you said you did a water change are you using tap water or ro/di ?
another question did you match the temps of the water ,

another thing I would be concerned with is that is a tall tank by guessing I'd say 30 to 35g. I would have a small power head towards the bottom to help circulate with out blowing the sea horses around .

keep the one at the top were it is but aim it to the top to get a water ripple , this will help with the gas exchange needed adding oxygen to the tank .

seahorses are a very delicate creature they are sensitive to any small change ,
they could have been sick or handled rough theirs many factors if you use tap there is a chance you may have chlorine in your water or other contaminants

not very familiar with sea horses but have you done anything new to the tank.
I see you said you did a water change are you using tap water or ro/di ?
another question did you match the temps of the water ,

another thing I would be concerned with is that is a tall tank by guessing I'd say 30 to 35g. I would have a small power head towards the bottom to help circulate with out blowing the sea horses around .

keep the one at the top were it is but aim it to the top to get a water ripple , this will help with the gas exchange needed adding oxygen to the tank .

seahorses are a very delicate creature they are sensitive to any small change ,
they could have been sick or handled rough theirs many factors if you use tap there is a chance you may have chlorine in your water or other contaminants

I use RO/DI water, I have on hooked up to my washing machine. No I don't match the water temps before a water change, should I be doing that? It is a 20 gallon, I have a 100 GPH pump at the top of the tank. I have a fear that it does have to do something with my seller. The store owner breeds them himself and takes care of them till they are old enough to sell. When I buy them I asked them what gender they are and how old but they say they don't know...kinda sketchy

temp change can defiantly have a big impact .
I would add a second power head down low giving some lower circulation
and the top one aim towards the top to get a water ripple on the surface this will help with gas exchange along with oxygenating the tank

Ok, tmro after my chameleons vet visit I will buy a second pump for the bottom and a second heater for the new water

As of 6 hours ago I see a tank with Cyanobacteria, unless those aren't accurate pictures.

That live rock is naturally pink, there also is some red macro algae at the bottom. Maybe that's what u r seeing?

Back
Top Bottom