Sick Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter2009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon tank with 15 tiger barbs in it with the final 3 having been added last week. Around the same time that these three were added, one of the established barbs started to display some symptoms of illness including pale color, vomiting, and erartic swimming.

I thought it might have a parasite so I started treating with API General Cure. After a few days, the barb seemed to be healthy again and all the symptoms had subsided.

The past 2 days I've noticed one of the barbs has not been eating and is hovering in the same place. I'm not sure if it's the same fish but I would imagine that it is.

All of the other barbs have shown no symptoms at any point and seem to be healthy.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening or what I should do next?

Personally, I'd remove the odd acting fish and treat with meds or euthanize as to not infect the rest of the fish in my tank.

Thanks, King Fisher. Unfortunately, it seems that things may have taken a turn for the worse.

The tiger barb in question showed signs of improvement yesterday (more activity and increase in appetite); but today all of the tiger barbs have been acting strangely. They showed some interest in food but their activity level seems to be down. A lot of them are also gravitating towards the back corner of the tank and just seem to be "off". Finally, the coloration seems a bit pale on a few of them.

Here are my readings:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: About 10
pH: About 6.2 (It's typically this low as I run CO2)

I should also note that I did a routine water change yesterday.

Any ideas what might be going on?

If you are dosing ferts. Might be a good idea to hold off for a while. When ever I notice my fish acting odd, like flashing, faded color, ect. I usually do a 50% WC.

Back
Top Bottom