Silver Dollar Acting up after move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battybat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I bought a tank from someone and the Silver Dollar has not been right ever since.

I did talk to a fish shop briefly and said probably his swim bladder from stress or hurt durring the move. He was going sidewase and upside down. But he go better.

My girlfriend, who used to work in a fish store was un-happy with the perminate buildup on the filter pump and I put in a new one. Also she didn't like how the gravel was so we put in new gravel. We also replaced the huge driftwood thing with a log half the size so the fish has more room to swim. Also planted some silk plants. He is now resting in one of them and is making me nervous. I should say we rebooted the whole aquarium. The water was even foggy.

The Neon Tetras are doing good and slightly more active. He was last night and this morning he looked ok. I am not sure what changed from last night. The temp is in the green zone.

I do admit the new pump is kind of strong. Petco said this MarineLand Bio wheel was the best. It is noisy and outputs too much water. She said to go with a 20 g for a 10g tank. I think tonight I am going to a newer version of the old one in the same size.

There is a stone bubbler in there too.

Please help, this little guy likes coming to say hi to me when I walk up or come home from work I don't want to lose him.

If you replaced all that stuff at one time you likely sent the tank into a new cycle. Have you checked the standard water parameters, and what are they?

Is he the only silver dollar? The fish might just be the first to suffer from poor conditions because it's already stressed from the move and not having a school.

Hello,
I don't have anything to check the levels. It was fine before the new reset. I will go grab strips tomorrow since the ones I had are now MIA. Someone moved them. Plus they could be old....

I will take the water up to the local store again tomorrow for testing. So I don't have to study how to use the strips and drive out far as I am short on time in the morning, have to get my car in the shop as they are awaiting for me.

The neons were doing great. Till I came home tonight. One dead, one very questionable and one got stuck under a pineapple house. I don't know if it was sick or just from entrapment. I guess I will have to plant it down better next time. Hard to get things to stay under gravel.

I am down to three healthy neons. They were more active since a day or two ago since I made more room for them..... The three are doing ok right now. I got the trapped one in a net clipped to the top. The others are in a bucket of water in case not quite dead. Maybe even the questionable one. I will hope the pineapple one was just from being stuck.

The tank is a bit cloudy, I think the GF tried to treat it. She thinks maybe from the dead silver and my hands in there moving things around? I was at work when it died. It was alive when I left. So 11a to 10p maybe then found him dead in the tank.
The silver dollar was the only silver and in a 10g tank, which I know is too small.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom