Silver dollar proof plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone give me some ideas on what plants I can put in my 75g tank. I have silver dollars , tiger barbs, t barbs, tin foil barbs, albino barbs, and a couple of angelfish. Most of what I put in there gets mowed over night like a toro lawn mower went through. There has to be something they won't destroy. Thanks for the help.

Mine ate EVERYTHING I tried. What they couldn't eat, they tore up trying. They are way worse than goldfish on the plants in my personal experience.

In my experience fish like silver dollars and goldfish eating plants has a lot more to do with what the fish are fed than the plants. If they get a truly complete and balanced diet they will be much less likely to go after the plants. If they are getting all the nutrients they need, they don't need to seek them out.

So what do you feed your gold fish and silver dollars to keep them from eating or just uprooting plants?

Mine get New Life Spectrum Thera+A exclusively. I have had cabomba, vals, swords, anacharis, crystalwort, and many others in with my goldfish with no problems.

These are the plants they have not touched. They have been planted for months. I'm sorry I don't know their names. I am terrible with plant names. Seem to have mental block when it comes to that. I feed them lightly with flakes in the morning and then when I get home from work I throw in a handful of organic field greens. They love them.

Attachments

• image-2828148751.jpg
    image-2828148751.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 167
  • image-277636972.jpg
    image-277636972.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 149
  • image-4163276802.jpg
    image-4163276802.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image-4000737148.jpg
    image-4000737148.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 141
The silvers in the picture look very young. Mine were much older when I got them and are habitual plant destroyers.

They'd nip stems and leaves off, even if they didn't eat them. I even had to take the java moss out and they tore it to pieces.

They are about a year old now. I'm hoping the peas I feed them once a week and the spring mix lettuce once a day will get them to leave the plants alone.

Back
Top Bottom