Silver dollar tank for 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedysnail

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I put 6 silver dollars, 1 firemouth cichlid, and a BN pleco in a 40G B

Silver dollars get too big I would do tetras

I call black skirt tetras the poor man's silver dollar. :)

I guess that makes me a poor man. Really, though, they have a tall body, and although they get nowhere near the size of silver dollars, they accomplish the same thing for me in my tank.

I've never kept cichlids, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that fire mouths tend to be a bit more docile than other cichlids and would do okay with the larger bodied fish like black skirts. Smaller tetras, danios, and rasboras would likely become a meal.

Silver dollars get HUGE. I have 3 in my 55 that are literally the size of my hand. I bought them 6 months ago as juvies, and honestly they grow unbelievably fast. I really wouldn't do more than 3 silvers in your tank. For now, go for 2 silvers to begin with, along with the chiclid. Try your best to get everything the same size. And if everything gets along well, you can try to add one more! The pleco will most definitely get along with the silvers as they are plant eaters.
Goodluck :)

I love black skirt tetras. They're just as beautiful as the Silver Dollar but you can have more of them. They don't get as large. I raised Silver Dollars for years and once I was given 4 Black Skirts I sold the SD and continued with the BST. Love them.

Back
Top Bottom