Silver Dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
My poor silver dollar got caught in the castle in my fish tank, he must have thought there was something good to eat at the bottom of the castle. He was okay this morning because all three of them were eagerly feeding this morning. When I went to clean the tank a few minutes ago the silver dollar was looking at me through an opening at the top of the castle. Had a heck of a time trying to get the fish out of there, he was stuck. I promptly took the castle out of the tank. My poor baby, he's okay now. I'm so glad.
(y)

You know his friends dared him. "Bet you two flakes you can't get in that castle..."

That's good. I'm thinking of getting some silver dollars, what do you feed yours??

I have a pair of silver dollars in my community tank, mine are quite peaceful but can get a little aggressive during feeding time. Mine also ate every single plant I had in my tank in a matter of weeks. They also will eat about anything, flakes, frozen shrimp, lettuce, cucumber, algae pellets, live bugs. I haven't seen them spit anything out. As long as you have an appropriate sized tank, (I suggest 55 or larger) They are a nice fish to keep. The pair I have I rescued but they are a schooling fish so the more the merrier, size permitted of course.

To second Abrams, I agree, do not put Silver Dollars in a planted tank. I has some Silver Dollars, when I initiated plants, at a high cost. They ate every plant I had. It broke my heart to take them to a fish store - I did get attached to them, but too much expense for lighting, CO2, etc. for the plants' initiation.

Otherwise, they always did great on tropical flake food. No problems at all and highly successful with Silver Dollars. i wish I could have them in my planted tank.

Good luck.

Rupret.

I feed mine organic zucchini that I microwave for a minute as a treat, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, TetraAlgae (vegetable enhanced crisps), frozen brine shrimp. Of course not all at once, but they like a variety of foods.

Fish is still okay this morning. :fish2:

Ok ill feed mine Shrimp Pellets, Flakes, Algae Wafers, Freeze Dried and Frozen Blood Worms, Cucumber, Lettuce, Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp and Hikari Micro Pellets. Does that sound like a good diet??

Back
Top Bottom