Simple as that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do it yourself co2 for heavily planted aquariums:
1.Take an empty clean durable container about the size of one u.s. Gallon.
2.Fill it 3/4 full of room temperature tap water
3. add 3/4 cup of white sugar,
4. one teaspoon of yeast and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
5. Let it Sit with the cap off to start the yeast. It may take a few hours to start bubbling tiny bubbles. While this is happening take the containers cap and
6.punch a small hole in it about the size of the tip of a check valve or tubing valve. 7.Once the yeast is active replace cap and attach valve with aquarium tubing.
8. Attach the opposite end of tubing to the intake of a powerhead.
9.Aim the powerhead to desired point in planted aquarium
10. Check the bubble rate leaving the tubing.
11. Use a co2 drop checker to measure dissolved co2 in water. These can be purchased online.
12. Watch the plants grow a little faster and greener.

Why do u have two gallon tubs connected are they both full of the same thing and how long does it last....also can u smell it

You should have an empty glass jar in between the sugar/yeast bottle and the powerhead. A small hole for the tube coming from the sugar/yeast, and another small hole for the tube going to your powerhead.

If the yeast/sugar mix bubbles too hard and starts spitting bubbles or liquid up the tube, the jar will catch it before it goes into your tank.

I needed two for my aquarium to increase the bubble rate of my co2 entering the powerhead intake. The only time you smell the yeast is when you take the lid off. It smells like sugar and alcohol. The yeast uses the sugar as their energy source. When the sugar and water are broken down by the yeast it produces alcohol and co2. It lasts about a 20 to 30 days. ( I do not recommend this around small children they may get sick if they drink it!!!!)

Deep Seven said:
You should have an empty glass jar in between the sugar/yeast bottle and the powerhead. A small hole for the tube coming from the sugar/yeast, and another small hole for the tube going to your powerhead.

If the yeast/sugar mix bubbles too hard and starts spitting bubbles or liquid up the tube, the jar will catch it before it goes into your tank.

I've used a external bubble counter and they do work well to trap liquid from entering the aquarium. I just decided to go the simpler rout with this instructional forum. Although I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom