Single and pairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for some ideas for fish that can be kept in an aquarium either by themselves (pet fish) or as a pair, no other tankmates, of any experience level, can be aggressive and hate me or like a puppy dog lol, I'm sick of community tanks I need something with some personality and harder to keep, any tank size too but need some ideas for a 20 gallon also, monster fish are also welcome of course
Thanks to all that reply

If your looking for personality then I would start with SA/CA cichlids, specifically the larger species. With a tank size of at least 75g for a single specimen like oscars, jaguars, trimacs, black belts, or festae. When a fish is kept solitary it's entire world is you, when pairs are kept the attentions dwindles since they have constant company. I have all of the above mentioned fish except for black belts, and each one from inch on shows distinct character traits. For a pair of any of these big boys a 125g or larger will be required since the biggest trait is aggression, it's not uncommon when a fish reaches maturity or when mating begins to kill the opposite fish. These are fish that can switch to insane at a moments notice so be prepared to divide or separate them quickly. So if you have the room theres no better fish to create that "wet pet" than one of beasts from down south. It's funny after owning these guys for a number of years and reading different forums about "my tiger barbs are nippy" they have no idea what a nipping is until they see a 16" jag seeing another fish they don't like. Good luck with your decisions.

my cray has a lot of personality,and i imagine shed have more if she was on her own.

oscars, crayfish, apistogrammas, rams, angelfish, and bettas all have great personalities. so great you'll end up selling that flat screen tv just to get more fish.

allaboutfish said:
oscars, crayfish, apistogrammas, rams, angelfish, and bettas all have great personalities. so great you'll end up selling that flat screen tv just to get more fish.

Very true I have a rotating chair just to turn to my left and look at my fish lol it's usually in that direction, I need my flatscreen for entertainment for the fishes lol

Back
Top Bottom