Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I jus started a 24 jbj cube saltwater tank for over a month now. I was wondering if a skimmer is necessary? If so, I heard that your not suppose to keep it on all the time?!!...

skimmers are not absolutely necessary. I ran a 75 gallon reef for over a year without a skimmer. I have heard some debate out there about whether they really do as much as we think for our reefs anyway. I run one and yes it runs constantly and is emptied once a week.

For a tank that small, no you don't need a skimmer. PWCs should get rid of your nitrates just fine.

I keep mine on 24/7. There's no way i'd go without it. It picks up some much nasty gunk. I wouldn't want that stuff in my tank.

So then jus don't get a skimmer at all?

No, no skimmer on that tank.

Use the centre chamber on the back as a mini refugium and grow a macro algae under this....

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/nano-glo-refugium-led

I use the light on my mce600's media chamber to the same ends and it works great.

img_1726075_0_ffeba7fb5a5048c33d3e1f4db05487e7.jpg

My LFS has the same tank as yours set up as a display tank and it uses the method I'm suggesting to you, coupled with a bag of purigen and a sponge that comes with the tank and you will be all sparkly clean.

Back
Top Bottom