Skull decor growing red hair? what is it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have a question, I noticed today that my skull decoration is growing red hair. As funny as that sounds its true. I would like to know what it is cuz the search button hasn't helped much. My readings are perfect at ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and pH at 7.6. My nitrate are unknown since I didn't shake the bottles as well as some members have pointed out so I think my readings aren't accurate. So would this red fuzz be "red algea" that I got no clue what it is. It's not spreading quick since my pleco is doing a good job IMO. Should I be worried and if so how to cure it? My tank is a Marineland 20gallon with bio wheel and LED lighting. Any more info feel free to ask. Thanks in advanced.

ForumRunner_20120811_020207.jpg

ForumRunner_20120811_020232.jpg

Is it red or more brownish? Could be diatoms which are pretty normal. Does it wipe off easily?

You could try removing the skull, rinse it in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water and try scrubbing it off, then rinse it in dechlorinated water and put it back into the tank. Is anything else affected or just that one item? How many hours per day are your lights on? Does the tank have good water flow throughout?

Its just algae try to scrape it off. If not take it out and let it soak in hot water for a while then try to scrape it off agin.

librarygirl said:
Is it red or more brownish? Could be diatoms which are pretty normal. Does it wipe off easily?

You could try removing the skull, rinse it in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water and try scrubbing it off, then rinse it in dechlorinated water and put it back into the tank. Is anything else affected or just that one item? How many hours per day are your lights on? Does the tank have good water flow throughout?

To me it looks more redish then brown. I scrapped a Lil off with the net and it seemed not too hard to come off. The skull decore is the only effected piece so far. The gravel, plant, and equipment don't seem affected by it thus far. And about the lighting I don't think it's strong enough to create algae. It's on about 10 hrs.

calfishguy said:
Its just algae try to scrape it off. If not take it out and let it soak in hot water for a while then try to scrape it off agin.

Alright i'll clean it off and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom