Slight cloudiness to my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaquaFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Evening everyone,
I have been noticing my water is no where near as clear as water in the tanks at fish stores or in a lot of pictures on here and I am trying to get some advice on what I can do other than getting a bigger tank.

So here is a break down of whats going on... I have a 10 gallo. Tank with a topfin 10 filter system in it. I have a goldfish in it thats about 3 inches. I started the tank fishless with safe start and distilled water and let it set for 48 hours and had the water tested before putting Alvin(my goldfish) in it. About 3 days after putting Alvin in the tank I noticed a slight cloudiness to it. This past sunday I did a 25% water change, still slightly cloudy. Yesterday did a vaccum clean and another 25% water change.... still slightly cloudy. I had some advice from someone on here that a liquid test on the water is more accurate then the strips so I had that done today and all levels are good. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also the guy at the fish store said that because I changed the water I slowed down the cycling system of the water. I thought if the water was cloudy at all, it was bad for the fish...?

The cloudiness is likely a bacterial bloom that is normally seen during the early stages of cycling. This is not nitrifying bacteria, it's some other species whose name I can't recall. It should clear up on its own.

A 10 gallon tank is too small for a goldfish. I believe that the rule of thumb with goldfish is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. Also, use tap instead of distilled water (or, at the very least, you need to use some tap water). Tap water also contains essential minerals that fish need, and bicarbonate ion that helps buffer the pH. I believe that sticking your fish into distilled water can cause serious osmotic shock and possibly death.

Going forward, I would purchase a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and read up on fish-in cycling.

Thanks y'all:thanks:. Yah unfortunately I cant upgrade the tank at the moment and when I bought the tank I was more worried about getting Alvin out of the bowl I had him in from the Carnival. I was told that 10 gallons would be enough for him so that's what I went with. I guess lessons learned:facepalm:. But at least I had the sense of moving out of the bowl as soon as possible, right? So as far as the water goes it sounds like I should just sit and wait for it to clear up? Would yall recommend me upgrading to a filter meant for a 20 gallon tank to help keep up with his waste?

If you put in the safe start and waited 48 hours without adding any ammonia, either from Alvin or another source, it is possible that your nitrifying bacteria died by the time you added the goldfish. If that is the case, your tank was not cycled. Now with that large fish in there, you need to be vigilant about testing and water changes, because the ammonia could spike rapidly.

If you put in the safe start and waited 48 hours without adding any ammonia, either from Alvin or another source, it is possible that your nitrifying bacteria died by the time you added the goldfish. If that is the case, your tank was not cycled. Now with that large fish in there, you need to be vigilant about testing and water changes, because the ammonia could spike rapidly.
Yah I have been pretty on top of it. Friends and family have been laughing at me for the amount of time and effort I have invested in Alvin, they just don't understand the tanked life :)

You could always upgrade your tank later when he gets too big. Upgrading the filter would be a great idea and would give a jump start towards upgrading. Check craigslist!!! There are so many cheap fish tanks with all the bells and whistles for sale. Most just need a little tlc. That's where I got my 36 gallon and the stand for a bargain! And some people even just give them away! :)

So I don't have to worry about the current flow being to strong if I put a bigger filtration system in it? My thoughts are one for a 20 gallon or a 30 gallon depending on price differences. And as far as a tank upgrade it probably wont happen until my fiancé and I move out of the apartment, she is worried about it being too much space wise along with cost.

Also the guy at the fish store said that because I changed the water I slowed down the cycling system of the water. I thought if the water was cloudy at all, it was bad for the fish...?

That's a bs statement from your LFS. Also, The cloudiness isn't a problem but rather it's the ammonia that's the problem.

So I don't have to worry about the current flow being to strong if I put a bigger filtration system in it? My thoughts are one for a 20 gallon or a 30 gallon depending on price differences. And as far as a tank upgrade it probably wont happen until my fiancé and I move out of the apartment, she is worried about it being too much space wise along with cost.

A stronger filter won't really help you. Yes, you will increase the gph in flow but you still won't have the bacteria to handle the bio load. That will only come with time.

A stronger filter won't really help you. Yes, you will increase the gph in flow but you still won't have the bacteria to handle the bio load. That will only come with time.[/QUOTE]

That's right. You need a lot of bb in the aquarium. I would suggest safestart and if your filter does not have it get some biological media and add it to the filter. This will give the bb a place to grow besides the cartridge which has to be changed every month or so... and that removes the bb which will cycle your tank all over again.

Make sure to test your water regularly. And I don't think a bigger flow will be a problem. IMO. But then again I am not expert. Over filtration is better than under filtration. Goldfish are fairly hardy fish (not as much as some people think but they will survive a cycle). So if you monitor your tank closely he should be fine.

Cool thanks for all the advice and tolerating all my beginner questions. I am going to look into this biological media thing because I have been reading in different topics when people change their filters, its kind of like taking all the good bacteria you worked hard on getting right out of there. And I definitely dont want to upset the balance of my tank

Cool thanks for all the advice and tolerating all my beginner questions. I am going to look into this biological media thing because I have been reading in different topics when people change their filters, its kind of like taking all the good bacteria you worked hard on getting right out of there. And I definitely dont want to upset the balance of my tank

When you change a filter just cram your old media into the new one. There's usually enough room. That, or cut it up and stick it in a filter media bag.

Roger that! Also some great news, I talked my fiancé into letting me get a bigger tank! I am thinking 55, I figured out space the space where I can put it which will be in my our study. Now I just need to find a free tank and stand or figure out how to pay for it and we will be golden! I AM REALLY EXCITED!

Hey just an update. I did a water change yesterday of about 3 gallons. Didnt put the safe start in there this time and the water looks fantastic. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I am going to test the water today to see where the levels are.

Back
Top Bottom