Slight white fog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dont have time to photograph but my cichlid tank has a slight white fog im not sure what it could be water tests ok any thoughts?

Have you recently cleaned your filters or a very large water change. Could be a mini cycle or a microbloom

No i havent done one in quite a few weeks. I was assuming that was the problem but its never been a problem

Malawi Freak said:
Have you recently cleaned your filters or a very large water change. Could be a mini cycle or a microbloom

I suspect this happens to me everytime I do my fx5 filter clean. No matter how much care I take to preserve all the BB, it's always cloudy for the next 2 weeks. Maybe next time i'll dust off the API kit and get confirmation.

Malawi Freak said:
And you're water is fine? I would recommend a couple 50+% water changes to clear it up.

Yeah i recently got a full time job and finding a good time to do the water changes isnt easy sometimes. Doing one tonight

5x5 said:
I suspect this happens to me everytime I do my fx5 filter clean. No matter how much care I take to preserve all the BB, it's always cloudy for the next 2 weeks. Maybe next time i'll dust off the API kit and get confirmation.

Are you replacing everything in the filter? I've had the same sponges, carbon, and bio rings in my fluval 305 for over 3 years. Only thing I change out in it is filter floss I put in one of the levels of trays.

Jacobsal91 said:
Yeah i recently got a full time job and finding a good time to do the water changes isnt easy sometimes. Doing one tonight

Try your best to set a schedule for X day a week you can devote an hour to your tank. Every Thursday night is when I do my water changes and sometimes if I have some extra time on my hands I'll do another one that week.

I know what it's like to be busy, I work 70+ hours a week, plus college full time, and raising a child. It sucks but the more consistent you are with your tank the better your fish will look.

No ive had the same filter stuff for a long while i just keep it
Clean, Just strange how it just
Came out of nowhere

Malawi Freak said:
Are you replacing everything in the filter? I've had the same sponges, carbon, and bio rings in my fluval 305 for over 3 years. Only thing I change out in it is filter floss I put in one of the levels of trays.

I do everything at once. Clean the bio media, prefilter media, swap out the coarse polishing pad and clean the sponge inserts. It's such a pain doing the Fx5, I try to avoid touching it like the plague. So when it does come out, it's everything.

I'm curious if other people do it in stages. I figured as long as the bio media is not exposed to chlorine or harsh temperatures, it should be fine. I'll test next time for sure to see if it'd related to the white haze.

5x5 said:
I do everything at once. Clean the bio media, prefilter media, swap out the coarse polishing pad and clean the sponge inserts. It's such a pain doing the Fx5, I try to avoid touching it like the plague. So when it does come out, it's everything.

I'm curious if other people do it in stages. I figured as long as the bio media is not exposed to chlorine or harsh temperatures, it should be fine. I'll test next time for sure to see if it'd related to the white haze.

That's fine to do it all at once. Do you have any other filters to keep a constant BB? I do my filters all staggered. One change I'll do my canister, next my hob's, then my sump. After a few weeks I'll repeat. Filter floss in my hob's I'll change out every week though.

So i get
Home from work tonight and its crystal clear again.. I didnt even do anything yet.. Doing
My
Water change now lol

Malawi Freak said:

Except that carbon expires (or rather, runs out) as it filters the toxins. In fact after 3 years without a change, you might as well not use carbon.

I'm not obsessive, I don't change media and I only do PWC every 2 weeks, but carbon is changed every pwc.

Malawi Freak said:

Except that carbon expires (or rather, runs out) as it filters the toxins. In fact after 3 years without a change, you might as well not use carbon.

I'm not obsessive, I don't change media and I only do PWC every 2 weeks, but carbon is changed every pwc.

Barakis said:

I only use carbon for a surface area for BB. I can take my canister filter, 2 hob's off and still be more than covered in filtration with my sump.

Malawi Freak said:
I only use carbon for a surface area for BB. I can take my canister filter, 2 hob's off and still be more than covered in filtration with my sump.

Nuff said lol :)

Back
Top Bottom