slow current filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corydoralover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know of any filters that breaks surface tension but doesn't make too current?

Some filters allow for adjustment of the flow rate. If you have the water high enough so the returning water does not fall, just flows, it's quieter that way, but it does not really break the surface tension.

Aqua Clear is the only filter I personally know that allows adjustment of the flow rates. Or you might use two smaller size filters, for less flow from each, but enough filtration for the tank.

Why the concern with breaking surface tension but not much flow ?

The fish I'm getting aren't really good swimmers so i don't want the current knocking them into the glass and im getting a 60 gallon tank

Are they surface, middle or bottom dwellers ? In a tank that size, some current is going to be unavoidable, but you may be able to redirect it to some extent. Baffles can be made from pop bottles that will fit over HOB filters, and push the returning water sideways, thus greatly reducing the flow's impact.

I keep fan shrimp with cories, loaches and danios, as well as Ghost shrimp. Loaches and fan shrimp need a fairly strong current, cories like a bit less, but they are coping very well with the quite robust current I get from both an Aqua Clear 70 and a Koralia Nano pump inside the tank which is on a rear wall, aimed to the side wall and downward.

Back
Top Bottom