Small Brackish Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, I'm setting up a small brackish system soon and I'm looking for small fish/inverts to put in.

Currently I am aware of:
Guppies
Balloon Mollies
Emperor Tetras
Splashing Tetras
Golden Wonder Killies
Bumble Bee Gobies
Knight Gobies
Opae Ula Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
Nerite Snails

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Monos , orange chromemartys

I recommend taking the time to read the actual post before replying, Monos are way too large. Chromides are too large and need an abnormally high pH compared to the fish I listed that I was considering.

Hey all, I'm setting up a small brackish system soon and I'm looking for small fish/inverts to put in.

Currently I am aware of:
Guppies
Balloon Mollies
Emperor Tetras
Splashing Tetras
Golden Wonder Killies
Bumble Bee Gobies
Knight Gobies
Opae Ula Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
Nerite Snails

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Just wondering are these fish you are interested in or you want something unique and dont want suggestions that you are already aware of. Because almost all of those fish wit the exception of Bumble bee gobies do better in fresh water.

Just wondering are these fish you are interested in or you want something unique and dont want suggestions that you are already aware of. Because almost all of those fish wit the exception of Bumble bee gobies do better in fresh water.

Since these fish originated/evolved from brackish water I am fairly sure that a brackish tank suites them best. But yes, I am looking for both suggestions that I don't know of and things that are unique.

My main suggestion would be to leave out the opae ula unless they're all you're going to stock in the tank. Any fish will eat them. Sailfin mollies of any color morph would be fine in brackish water, but they'll overcrowd the tank with growing fry if nothing eats their offspring.

Well I think I'm going to go with some Ghost Shrimp which will probably survive easier than the Opae Ula, 3-5 Bumblebee Gobies, 2 Harlequin Mollies (Addressing the fry issue, I am aware the Bumblebee Gobies LOVE live food, so if I want any of the Molly fry to survive I will separate them but the Gobies will take care of the rest.), and 1-2 Nerite Snails. I'll have a miniature refugium with Opae Ula and some brackish plants (Which I need suggestions on).

(Toddnbeckna: The duckweek I ordered a while back is great :) All of my RCS and Danio fry love it!)

Back
Top Bottom