Small Community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cochran694

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I own a 5 gallon filtered tank containing a small male betta. I have heard answers to my question go both ways, but I'll give it a shot here. :)

So, in said tank (which is properly cycled and has all correct parameters, so please don't school me on cycling), is there enough room to add maybe one or two more fish? Very small ones, such as tetras? I am aware of the uncetainty of which fish get along with bettas, and I haven't made any decisions anyways. I was thinking of adding a pleco, but I know how large they can get, and I wouldn't have the room if it became too large. I have had no luck in getting an quality answers or advice. :banghead:

So, what are your thoughts on the situation? My betta, Roland, is pretty aggressive (he flares at his reflection quite frequently).

Oh, and one more question. The filter in my tank puts out a rather strong current. What can do to the filter to lessen this? Would putting women's hose over the outflow area help?

Thanks for your time and for helping me out, so I can continue to enjoy my aquariums and keep my fish happy! :)

I have two albino Cory cats w/ my betta. They keep the bottom clean, they are so much fun to watch and b/c they are bottom feeders thebetta pays zero attention to them. They only get like 2 inches and I have never had a overstock problem in the 5 gal. Just get some wafers for them if you are feeding your betta pellets. I tried neons once and my betta ate them :-/

Also what kind of filter do you have I put plant by my filter and it lowered the flow so that might help

Okay, thanks! I'm pretty sure my petshop has those. I was hoping for a bottom feeder so they wouldn't clash so it sounds great :) I will avoid neons as well, in that case.

My filter is a hang off the back type, and I will try the plant suggestion.

Thanks so much for your input!

Albino cories get far too large for a 5g tank. They also do much better in larger groups of 6+. Not a good choice IMO. A 5g doesn't give you many options. If your Betta is known for being aggressive towards other fish I wouldn't risk any more. Look into snails and possibly shrimp if your Betta can tolerate them.

Back
Top Bottom