Small lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fromthelbc

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys, im planning on making a fw planted tank, but i have a couple questions first... would my plants survive in 24 hours of light?

I think you would end up with a ton of algea, plants have to have a photosynthesis(sp) period.

ok, so heres another question, i have a couple smaller tanks, and 1 55 gallon, if i set up my smaller tanks to grow plants from bulbs, would i be able to leave the smaller tank outside for the plants?

you wouldnt want the lights on 24 hours. first thing it would stress the fish. 2nd plants grow at night. the 3rd like mom2reds said algae it would be all over the place.

you can leave it out side but it will turn into a algae magnet also.

you wouldnt want the lights on 24 hours. first thing it would stress the fish. 2nd plants grow at night. the 3rd like mom2reds said algae it would be all over the place.

you can leave it out side but it will turn into a algae magnet also.

well i just want to get the bulbs started, after i get them growing i'll transfer them into the bigger tanks....

Plants use photosynthesis during the day... this is when they need light. But when the lights go out they go through respiration, much like animals do. Leaving the lights on 24 hours a day means your plants are in constant over drive. While you can grow plants like this for awhile, it is much more beneficial to use a close to natural photoperiod for your plants.

As far as outside, it would be a good way to grow plants assuming your climate is correct. HOwever, the tank will turn into a massive glob of algae rather quickly as mentioned.

ok, another question, for lighting, how many lights would i need for my 55g, as of right now, i have a 30w 36" aquaglow for right now.

depends on what you want to do. if you want all low light might want to give shop lights a shot. if you wnat more medium light high light you would need to get cf or t5ho set up.

well, i would like a lot of plants... like TONS... what would be best for that kind of set up?

its not a matter of amount of plants. some plants need more light then others. also have to take into account shading. bigger plants shading smaller ones.

ok, so would i need more than 30 watts of light? (its a purple-ish light...) is it the right one?

Back
Top Bottom