Small red spots, size of pinprick, depressed and erratic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllisonReed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I just joined this site because I often refer to others' problems to help diagnose my fish, but until now I never felt the need to post my own.

I have a 2 inch almost 5 year old comet goldfish named Watson and he has just a couple of small pinprick sized red dots. One is on the top-side of his head and there are two on his base near his fins.

I have a 10 gallon tank with no other fish currently. I had another fish that died 2 weeks ago from what Petco said was a bacterial infection? I treated that fish and the tank with Melafix for about 5 days before that fish died and continued doing so afterward. That fish was just over 5 years old. I have a Tetra carbon filter. No live plants, just aquarium decorations. I did a 25% water change about 4 days ago.

This fish is also acting lethargic, sitting around stationary much more than he used to. Every once in a while, he will go "crazy" and fling himself out of the water, hitting the lid of the tank. (Thank goodness I have a lid or he'd have jumped out and died long ago.) He has been doing this to my knowledge for about a month, but he never had any other symptoms so I let it be.

I worry that the lethargy is due to missing his friend Phineas. He was with him for about 4.5 years and the entirety of his life, so I imagine he is quite aware of his absence. I don't really want to get him a new friend, as I am not really ready to commit to another 5 or more years of fish parenting. I also don't know if this would help or harm the situation anyway.

Anyway, what do you all think about the small red dots? Cause for concern?

Please, any help is appreciated!

I snapped a picture of him just now. His red spots have disappeared from his underside, but now the ones by his gills have gotten worse. Here is the pic:
photo-4.jpg
Please any advice at all on what to do to help him?

I don't know how to get people to help at all? Is there some secret forum thing that I am missing out on? Help a newbie out?

Have you checked your levels ? Sometimes ammonia poisoning causes redness.

Ok, rereading. He is in a 10 gallon tank? What are your water parameters? Could it be that you are having an ammonia or nitrite spike? If you don't have a test kit, you might have your water tested at the LFS so you can rule out bad water.

Unfortunately, all I have is a pH test kit. I just did that and it is at about 7.0-7.2. I'll probably pop by the pet store tomorrow and get a test kit for the others so I don
t have to keep going back to get my water tested. (Thanks for the responses, friends!)

Okay, I went and got some testers!
The ammonia levels says "Safe <.2" or whatever
GH 180
KH 80
pH 6.0??? Very different results from the other kind of test
No2 .75
No3 80

I have no idea what normal is.

Edit: After looking it up it looks like my nitrite and nitrate levels are high? Petsmart's website says that this can be helped by 25% water changes.

Also, I was just at Petsmart and showed them the picture and the guy said that I should get "T.C. Tetracycline" which is for bacterial fish diseases. It specifically says it helps "red sores", so I am hoping this will help.

Last edited:
Your fish is probably going crazy because he's likely severely stunted. Coment goldfish get a foot+ in size and a 10 gallon tank is no where near large enough for him. When fish get stunted, their outsides stop growing, but their insidies continue to grow.

I agree that he probably scratched himself on the hood. Ultimately if you want to save your fish, i'd suggest rehoming him to someone with a much larger tank or pond.

Also, did you get test strips? They are highly inaccurate, so i'd suggest getting a liquid test kit.

I know 10 gallons is not ideal. :( However, at least he has the whole tank to himself now. I doubt I'd be able to find anywhere else for him.

I did get test strips, but they're the same thing that Petsmart uses to test water, so they can't be that bad.

They are highly inaccurate. Petstores are filled to the brim with tons of inaccurate information. Most employees are only tryiing to make a sale.

For now, do large water changes until your parameters are 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and less than 40 nitrate. Right now conditions in the tank are toxic to your fish.

In all honesty, if he can't be provided a bigger aquarium, he will die.

They are highly inaccurate. Petstores are filled to the brim with tons of inaccurate information. Most employees are only tryiing to make a sale.

For now, do large water changes until your parameters are 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and less than 40 nitrate. Right now conditions in the tank are toxic to your fish.

In all honesty, if he can't be provided a bigger aquarium, he will die.

Plus 1 on the test strips. I've tested both together and the test strips can be quite out (if anything they under read).

Back
Top Bottom