Small species tank -- please help me pick a species!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Colombia some drug dealer had like 5 pet hippos (not neutered, I believe) and they escaped into the colombian wilderness/jungle. Now there is a hippo epidemic and anyone that sees one is required to kill one on sight.
Scientists captured a male later and neutered him. It was the first successful hippo neutering since hippos do not handle drugs well. :)

If your tank is cube, you would maybe be ok with one ram, but probably not a pair.
Also, I think you would be ok with schoolers as long as they are small, like embers or neons. Nano species would still be ok in a cube (unless you just sinply don't want them, then nevermind:))

What are the dimensions of your tank?

40cm x 40cm x 40cm ( 40 cm = 15.75 inches)

& What kind of filter do you have

64 liters (17 gallons)

Also : note that there is NO LID. So preferably I need a species that does not have mad jumping skills. Unless there is the 'perfect' fish for me, that happens to jump....in that case, the Mr. will have to put his DIY skills to good use! :brows:

I am really liking the idea of German Blue rams. I have also found these in my research :

Apistogramma Borelli -- small, and seems to meet the accepts pellets/flakes criteria for when I have to --- unless someone tells me otherwise. Do these guys have a bit of character?

Dario Dario -- although most likely not, because it seems they only eat live. True / not true? If true, prefer dwarf puffers anyway.

As for schooling fish : I really am trying to stay away from these as it is not really the sort of 'look' I am going for with the tank. I want to showcase the plants almost as much as the fish, and prefer to have 2 or 3 small little specimens, almost as a pleasant (and entertaining!) surprise among the leaves.

I just bought my first Dario Dario. I saw a group set up in a heavily planted 8g ? (US gallons ). They are territorial but given heavy plants and not too crowded, they color up and show off in their tiny way.

The store I got mine from swore he ate flakes and pellets. But I breed Cherry Shrimp, so he'll get shrimp treats on occasion. Love my shrimp, but have over 100 now.

I have a 10g rimless that I'm cycling. I'm using my Betta and plants to speed things up.

View attachment 51401

I am adding more plants and wood this week.

My tentative stocking list is:
7 Celestial Pearl Danios
4 ? Dario Dario
Corydoras Habrosus
Nerite Snails
MTS snails

My Shrimp tank is my temp holding tank. My CPDs arrive Tuesday.

View attachment 51402

40cm x 40cm x 40cm ( 40 cm = 15.75 inches)

64 liters (17 gallons)

Also : note that there is NO LID. So preferably I need a species that does not have mad jumping skills. Unless there is the 'perfect' fish for me, that happens to jump....in that case, the Mr. will have to put his DIY skills to good use! :brows:

I am really liking the idea of German Blue rams. I have also found these in my research :

Apistogramma Borelli -- small, and seems to meet the accepts pellets/flakes criteria for when I have to --- unless someone tells me otherwise. Do these guys have a bit of character?

Dario Dario -- although most likely not, because it seems they only eat live. True / not true? If true, prefer dwarf puffers anyway.

As for schooling fish : I really am trying to stay away from these as it is not really the sort of 'look' I am going for with the tank. I want to showcase the plants almost as much as the fish, and prefer to have 2 or 3 small little specimens, almost as a pleasant (and entertaining!) surprise among the leaves.
In a 40cm by 40cm tank, I wouldn't suggest rams. They don't do a lot of vertical swimming, so they really need the horizontal space. If you do decide to go with that species, only get one.
I think dp would be better since they use more vertical space. I do not have experience with the othe species you suggested.

In a 40cm by 40cm tank, I wouldn't suggest rams. They don't do a lot of vertical swimming, so they really need the horizontal space. If you do decide to go with that species, only get one.
I think dp would be better since they use more vertical space. I do not have experience with the othe species you suggested.

I admit I do have a preference for the DP.

I am just nervous about the live-only feeding, as I :

1) have never had a species that can't have pellets / flakes
2) I live in a remote area and am worried about the practicality / ready availability of live-only
3) when I travel, which is pretty often, hubby will be in charge of feeding and I am not sure he has the patience for anything other than flakes

Maybe I am worried about nothing, and it is not as bad / impractical / impossible as I am imagining it. I just have never done it, so I don't know! Perhaps I will start another thread re: this.

GBR's are my close second choice because of the wider feeding options(from what I understand anyway)

what to do ... what to do... fortunately, I have cycling time to think about it!

We fed our DPs frozen Brine shrimp and bloodworms plus live snails. Snails are easy. Many fish stores will give you some if you ask. Or you'll get them free with your plants :)

Bettas have big personalities IF taken care of properly. I would go with the scarlett badis but I am biased since that is one of my favourite fish. Given the tank design you described you could house maybe 2 males or 1 male and a harem of females. They are gorgeous and cool fish. Related to perch with the spikey lookin fins and then add bright orange color with black stripes!

They do need live or frozen food though. Frozen should work perfectly fine though.

GodFan said:
Bettas have big personalities IF taken care of properly. I would go with the scarlett badis but I am biased since that is one of my favourite fish. Given the tank design you described you could house maybe 2 males or 1 male and a harem of females. They are gorgeous and cool fish. Related to perch with the spikey lookin fins and then add bright orange color with black stripes!

They do need live or frozen food though. Frozen should work perfectly fine though.

BUT since the OP does not want to feed live AND Scarlet Badis are tiny and shy AND often will only eat LIVE FOOD. But I am in love with mine. Like a teeny Betta in the way the are so deliberate when they look for food on the bottom.

Thank you for this -- scarlet badis were on my list. I have been able to find some information on these (a lot of it conflicting!), but not a lot of opinions. This is helpful.

BUT since the OP does not want to feed live AND Scarlet Badis are tiny and shy AND often will only eat LIVE FOOD. But I am in love with mine. Like a teeny Betta in the way the are so deliberate when they look for food on the bottom.

It is not that I don't want to feed live -- I just don't want to have to all the time, and especially don't want have to manage any side tanks (snails, worms, etc). I can manage the 'sometimes' live thing, just not as a staple, as it is just not practical (or realistic) for me. Do your scarlet badis eat frozen at all? In any case, from what you are saying, it sounds much like the feeding habits of my original pick, the dwarf puffer.

:thanks:

kindafishy said:
Thank you for this -- scarlet badis were on my list. I have been able to find some information on these (a lot of it conflicting!), but not a lot of opinions. This is helpful.

It is not that I don't want to feed live -- I just don't want to have to all the time, and especially don't want have to manage any side tanks (snails, worms, etc). I can manage the 'sometimes' live thing, just not as a staple, as it is just not practical (or realistic) for me. Do your scarlet badis eat frozen at all? In any case, from what you are saying, it sounds much like the feeding habits of my original pick, the dwarf puffer.

:thanks:

I just got mine. The store was feeding him crushed flake n micro pellets. I plan on getting him some frozen baby Brine Shrimp. I need it for my Threadfin Rainbows and my Celestial Pearl Danios anyway. All new fish. They are eating. But I want to give them a wide variety and get them colored up and happy. They might even breed for me. The Dario Dario is single but I'm shopping for another male or two as well as the hard to find females.

The new fish all have tiny mouths. I expect the D Dario ( Scarlet Badis) to start snacking on newborn Cherry Shrimp any day now...close to his wild diet.

My DD (SB) :) will be moved to my rimless open top tank along with the CPDs. The TF Rainbows will stay in the covered Shrimp tank as Rainbows JUMP !!

Pics of my tank.
First random shots of CPDs

View attachment 51707

View attachment 51708

Shrimp eating

View attachment 51709

View attachment 51710

DD lurking

View attachment 51711

TF Rainbow boys sparring

View attachment 51712

Thanks, Coursair. Those are great pictures, and I love the look of the tank -- very natural!

kindafishy said:
Thanks, Coursair. Those are great pictures, and I love the look of the tank -- very natural!

I need to trim my stems n Moss LOL.
Thank you. I love it even if it is jungle like.

Shrimp Tank

View attachment 51719

New 10g rimless cycling with my Betta

View attachment 51720

Adding Driftwood and more plants tomorrow.

Trim plants
PWCs on all my tanks on Wednesdays
Ferts added in afterwards

Back
Top Bottom