Snail Colony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexjdavis19

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on getting a dwarf puffer and I want to feed it snails as it's main food. What would the best way to start a small snail population? I was thinking I just get a critter keeper and put whatever easiest snails I can get in there? Can I just put water in there for them to breed or do I need a full on filter to keep the water cycled? I have no idea how to start this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get a tank/bucket at least 2.5 gallons (there will be a lot of snails,trust me) put a couple of ramshorn/pond snails in there. And yes get a filter as well as an air pump. Pretty much it, these snails are really tough and do not die that easily. Also, if the snails start to climb to the top of the tank/bucket/critter keeper it indicates that the water quality is bad.
Also for food algae wafers and something with calcium in it,preferably turtle sticks that contain calcium. (Snails need calcium to grow their shells)

I keep two jars like this, one for snails and the other for scuds. You only need to start out with a few snails....

img_3268151_0_34b5821366789fd920dffcc954568185.jpg

I was just thinking of putting a little HOB breeder in the tank. That'd work too, right?

I kept mine in a jar and they bred like crazy. I would get a few different kinds of snails, like ramshorn, pond and Malaysian trumpet snails. All easy to breed and will grow up fast. I used to go to PetCo every week and get some free snails from their plant tanks and they'd be glad to get all the snails off of their hands. I recommend setting the culture up 2-3 months before you get snails so you have a lot by the time you get puffers and tat the population will be stable. I didn't use a filter, I just put in some java moss and changed the water every week or so. It might be a good idea t provide oxygen. The snails will climb out if the water is bad or if there isn't enough oxygen. Learned that when I woke up one morning and there were snails all over my desk lol.

Back
Top Bottom