Snail id?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought this snail as a mystery snail but he is constantly growing. His foot is 2 in, his shell 1 1/2 in every direction
His feelers/antennae are 3 inches each

image-3675816521.jpg

Rivercats said:
You can expect it to get alot bigger too!

Uh oh
I've heard they get fist sized and eat plants... Yesterday it at an entire shrimp pellet. I might have to rehome.

Yep ours was alittle bigger than a tennis ball and we used to summer him outside in one of the ponds. In the winter we brought him in and found it impossible to keep him in a tank. We'd wake up in the morning and go out in the sunroom only to find him out tooling around... it was actually pretty funny. We used to feed him a variety of softened veggies, along with pellets and stuff. We had him for years until he took a really bad fall and we couldn't repair his shell.

Rivercats said:
Yep ours was alittle bigger than a tennis ball and we used to summer him outside in one of the ponds. In the winter we brought him in and found it impossible to keep him in a tank. We'd wake up in the morning and go out in the sunroom only to find him out tooling around... it was actually pretty funny. We used to feed him a variety of softened veggies, along with pellets and stuff. We had him for years until he took a really bad fall and we couldn't repair his shell.

What do you do to repair the shell? I don't know what to do with him, he's great as in a cool inhabitant and also great at cleanup, but I can't keep him when that big in a 10 gal tank

When a snail cracks his shell but you can see any visable skin then you let it heal itself. If you see skin I've repaired shells using surgical glue (from the vet) and pieces of other snail shells (empty trapdoor shells) and it works great. Some people use dried egg shells but I never have.

Back
Top Bottom