Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been watching this guy (snail1) for a couple of weeks. He was a hitch-hiker.

Just noticed snail2 tonight. Also a hitch-hiker. Probably came about the same time as the other snail. So I would guess both snails to be about 3 months old.

My question is if either of these snails are not plant friendly?

Attachments

• snail1_199.jpg
    snail1_199.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
  • snail2_453.jpg
    snail2_453.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
The first is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS)-good guy. Doesn't bother plants, makes more of itself, tunnels through gravel to beneficial effect.

The second is a ramshorn snail; some of these do eat plants and some don't. I would remove it if you're concerned about the plants and don't have any snail-eating fish in yer tank.

PS-I heart snails.

First one is a MTS. They are great at aerating the substrate and do not eat plants. Many people on this forum want them. They are live-bearers so no eggs either in the tank. This can be a good/bad thing depending on how much food is in your substrate. I have them in my tank and rarely see them. Others say they take over their tanks. I would personally leave them.

The second one I'm unsure of.

Thanks guys. The MTS is staying for sure. I've only seen the one Ramshorn, and he's big enough to notice. Will he self-reproduce, or will I just have one? Honestly, I kind of like him and will keep an eye on plants. I've seen him scoot across leaves without doing any harm, so maybe he's okay?!

I don't know of any commonly found FW snail that self-reproduces. They are hermaphroditic so you don't have to worry about having 2 of the same sex (since they are technically both sexes), but odds are if you have 1 you have another (or 17). :)

7Enigma said:
I don't know of any commonly found FW snail that self-reproduces. They are hermaphroditic so you don't have to worry about having 2 of the same sex (since they are technically both sexes), but odds are if you have 1 you have another (or 17). :)

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for more ramshorn. I figure if they hitch-hiked in at the same time, they should be the same size. As for the MTS, it just appeared last night when I turned the lights on, maybe they are nocturnal. I may have more of them too.

I believe ramshorn's are egg layers. That means you very well could have a clutch of eggs that has not yet hatched, or just recently hatched and its very difficult to spot young snails. I'm currently breeding common and MTS and the commons after hatching on the glass are easily missed if you don't focus right on the glass. They are similar in size to a:

The second one is a Ramshorn snail, and they are safe for planted tanks.
It is the large (over 1") striped Ramshorns are the plant eaters.

Zezmo said:

Excellent, looks like my new friends are staying around!

Zezmo said:

Don't bet on it...I regularly observe Planorbis sp. ramshorns munching on plants....just not so severely as the Marisa.

I've even seen my mystery snails munching on plants leaves, but upon further inspection came to conclude that it was the damaged part of the leaf that it found tasty.

Travis, just to make sure I have this correct for future use its ten 20" cichlids? Or was that ten to twenty cichlids? I'm thinking I can probably fit ten to twenty juvenile's, but ten 20" cichlids might be pushing my bioload a bit.....its only a 20gallon high ya know! :)

And when your done with them, can they be stored in the freezer for future use? Or is this just a one time deal?

Ramshorn snails are a highly popular choice for the outdoor pond as they do not eat live plants, but scavenge on uneaten fish food and rotting plant matter.
http://www.snailshop.co.uk/html/ramshorn_snails.html

Also IME, they only eat dead and dying plant matter, helping to keep your tank nice and tidy. That said, it is the snails opinion of what is dying, not yours.

travis simonson said:
I've always found that if I have a snail problem it can be easily resolved by dosing with 10-20" of African cichlids :p

Actually, if I don't get my algae under control this is the route I'm planning to take. (Along with adding rocks, removing plants, and lowering the light levels.)

Vmax911 said:
Actually, if I don't get my algae under control this is the route I'm planning to take. (Along with adding rocks, removing plants, and lowering the light levels.)

You can continue keeping plants, introduce African cichlids, and maintain light levels at the same time. I've found that my Africans quickly adapt to the high light levels in my tank and only eat certain types of plants. They are a bit like keeping bulls in a china shop at times, but it helps keep me busy :wink:

Back
Top Bottom