Snail in Trouble???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snaily Sarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first time on here so here we go. I currently have a blue mystery snail, named Ludwig, who is not doing well at all. He hasn't been coming out of his shell for a while now. Yes, he is still alive, but he is only slightly protruding from his shell and is secreting a cloudy, clear, bubbly fluid from time to time from the inside of his shell. He also has a little crack/ dent in his shell that he's had ever since I got him. He was fine until recently! My other snail who is in the same tank, a golden mystery snail named Tambourine, is fine and in tip top health... You see, I moved Tambourine to Ludwig's tank to give Ludwig some company because he had been doing this hiding in his shell thing for about a week or more. So, I decided to put Tambourine in there with him. A little while after I did so, Ludwig came out and actually travelled around!!!... For a little while... now he is back to how he used to be. He isn't eating or floating... he just sits there at the bottom... It has broken my heart and I am very very worried about Ludwig. I have had him and Tambourine for about 4 months. He's just not how he usually acts. Any ideas or help?

Hi, what's your parameters? Is there any fish in the tank harassing him? Does his foot look swollen?

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

not at all. he is in a 2.5 gal currently with a heater on 73 degrees with no other fish. only his pal tambourine. he was in a 3 gal with a betta... but I moved him after he started doing this. and no, his foot looks normal... when he comes out. last night, finally, he had come out and moved around a bit. that was the 1st night and time in about 1 1/2 weeks. pH is about a 7.4 and I did a water change yesterday and put eggshells in there with him.

Good to hear he's moving about again, always a good sign :)

ya. but the problem is he just goes right back and that weird, whitish gooey slime or something is still coming out of his shell. any ideas on that?

ya. but the problem is he just goes right back and that weird, whitish gooey slime or something is still coming out of his shell. any ideas on that?

It sounds like something is irritating him? Have you checked your parameters? Sometimes when there's ammonia in the tank the snail's become uncomfortable and produce more slime than usual.

ya. just checked them and cleaned the tank. everything is fine

ya. just checked them and cleaned the tank. everything is fine

Ok, has he been eating okay? He's maybe just over producing slime. Have you got a picture of him? Maybe that would help.

he hasn't been eating at all. and hang on for a pic. now there is what appears to be the remains of a meal (maybe he ate when I saw he had come out last night) instead of whitish cloudy tansparent slime

Maybe the betta was picking on him and he's been really stressed out that would explain the slime, as they can also produce this as protection if they've been getting nipped at, I had the same problem with one of my snail's who shared a tank with my betta. Maybe he's just needing time to settle, and hopefully realise he's going to be left alone. It also explains him not wanting to come out of his shell.

Ludwig
can u see this pic?

very very true. I hope that's the case. I couldn't stand to lose that poor little snail... if that's the case with him, how could I make him feel more comfortable and safe? or do I just wait him out

Just keep his water clean it will help with the healing process. And all you can do is give him time.
I hope he improves for you, just like you I love keeping snail's!
Good luck and keep me updated. :)

thank you very much for your help and I will keep you updated... I hope he makes it. poor lil' thing. again, thank you :D

No problem :)

Oh my goodness! I am so shocked! Ludwig has started coming out of his shell, eating, moving around, and doing everything normal again! Thank you for your advice... maybe he was just nervous and getting used to it. He's now happy, it seems, and is back to his usual self! And I was so worried! Maybe the little guy was just playing a trick or something. Again, thank you. :)

p.s. my avatar picture is of my golden mystery snail and Ludwig's friend, Tambourine. :)

Thats great to hear :) he must've been stressed.
Good luck with him.
And your golden is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom