Snail infestation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 38g planted African cichlid tank and the other day I noticed that there are lots of tiny snails all over my tank. I hadn't noticed them before because they seem to hide during the day, but when they come out at night they really take over the tank. Is there any way that I can mitigate this problem or eradicate the snails entirely?

I've heard of people using clown loaches to keep the snail population down but I don't think my tank can support clowns.

Are there any fish that I can keep with my cichlids that eat snails? Maybe some sort of catfish?

Thanks for the advice!

Those are probably mtsayisllayn sp? Trumpet snails they are basically impossible to get rid of the best way to go is to not fees you fish as much food because they feed on the extra food, don't use snails chemical because they can harm your fish. Another route is to buy assassin snails there name says it all. And the last way to kill them is to buy some loaches. Oh one more way is to put a lettuce leaf I the bottom if the tank at night and they will eat it so you can pull them out in the morning

Where can I find assassin snails? Can I get them at my local fish store?

Assassin snails are hard to find u can check the classifieds section or buy them online or see if your lfs not petco or petsmart can order them for u

Thank you very much. I called up my LFS and they do have assassin snails. Also, I did some reading up on trumpet snails and I don't think that they're the snails I have. My snails are about 2-3 millimeters wide at most and have tan to light brown shell. Whatever the case, I'll be sure to pick up a few assassin snails next time I'm at my local shop. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom