Snail Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halcion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

So, basically i have wayyyyyyy too many snails and i need to 'rid' my tank of a few of them.

I have a large planted tank, with 2 filter/pumps, a 100w heater light, lid gravel. The normal works.

In it i have 8 Neon Tetras and 1 Red tailed shark.
I also own hundreds of snails. There are so many that they cover all my rocks, my filters and the glass. I put a Pleco Wafer in yesterday, and within 20 minutes, it was completely covered with snails. The same happenend with some cucumber i put in for the shark.

They are dominatimg everything, and im not sure what to do.. Thanks in advance :)

Put a leaf of lettuce in just before lights out, get to the tank early the next morning or maybe a couple hours after putting it in and it should be covered in them, then just pull it out and toss it. Repeat as necessary.

Okay, how do you sugest I toss them? In a bin? Boiling water? Theyre annoying but i dont want them to suffer...

Halcion said:
Okay, how do you sugest I toss them? In a bin? Boiling water? Theyre annoying but i dont want them to suffer...

I just throw it in a bin, or feed to my loaches.

I dont know what they are, theyre a sandy colour, some of them are a dark sandy colour and a few are black. I mustve got them when i bought the plants.

Halcion said:

Not to sound coldhearted but IMO they're snails and have become a nuisance to you just like ants or flies, so I'd just dump them in the trash.

Myself, I want as many as I can get because I feed them to my puffers (GSP) as fresh snacks and to help keep their beaks trimmed down. It's the circle of life and it may sound harsh, but that's the way the cycle works.

Okay, thanks for the help!! :) at least my tank is cleaner because of them! And at the rate theyve been reproducing ill have more soon enoughh!
Or maybe ill jut get a puffer :D haha

Halcion said:
Okay, thanks for the help!! :) at least my tank is cleaner because of them! And at the rate theyve been reproducing ill have more soon enoughh!
Or maybe ill jut get a puffer :D haha

Haha! Puffers are great, but a lot of work.

Here's a couple bits of info that might help. Lots of snails are an indication of over feeding, so if you have that many I'd suggest cutting back on the fish food. If/when you get more plants, dip them in H2O2 ( hydrogen peroxide) for 30 seconds or so, then rinse in cold tap water and it'll kill the snails before they can invade your tank (again :p).

Ohhhh, thats quite interesting! Ill cut down a bit then on food :)
And ill do that next time, thankyou very much!

Why are puffers lots of work then? Theyre worth the efffort though right?

Halcion said:
Ohhhh, thats quite interesting! Ill cut down a bit then on food :)
And ill do that next time, thankyou very much!

Why are puffers lots of work then? Theyre worth the efffort though right?

They require brackish water and lots of attention at first to make sure the tank is stable, but when you see their cute smile just before they decimate a helpless snail, you can't help but love them lol.

Check out my threads, I have one on my puffer tank build if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom