Snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonesy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone
Im having a bit of a problem with tiny snails, i noticed 3 tiny snails a couple of days ago and seeing as i hadnt put any in my tank they must have been on the plants i got 2 weeks ago from my lfs anyway i thought nothing of it and left them in there. But today when done a big water change and took out all the ornaments and bog wood i found loads like atleast 30 if not more all under the bog wood and the submerine ive got in there i took loads out but theres still loads left in the tank. How can i keep them under control and if not how do i get rid.
Many thanks

Those snails breed like anything, ask you're lfs if they have any assassin snails. They will eat the snails but leave the shell.

Will those assassin snails eat my giant apple snail or would he be to big for them as hes bigger than a golf ball

I'm not too sure on that, you'll have to google it if no one else knows.

I wouldn't go for an assassin snail. Pond snail populations can be pretty easily controlled. You can place a piece of lettuce in there at night and when you take it out there will be a ton of little snails on it. Also as long as you don't overfeed the population will stay small. I was originally frustrated when I found out that I had them, but they're actually pretty beneficial as long as the population is kept in check. :>

I spoke to my lfc about it today and they said about puting some pygmy puffers in there but i thought they had to go in a tank on there own plus i dont want to get rid of them just keep them under control as they r pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom