Snails & fish dying Ich issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cke003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this site & new to the fish world. I have a 36 gal bow front tank that is about 10-12 weeks old. Since I have started the tank the PH has been 8.2 and that has not changed in 10-12 weeks. On 7/1 the ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 & nitrate is 5.0. I just did a water change of about 35% a week ago. I just tested water now & PH is 7.6, amonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 2.0. This is with API master test kit. I started adding my fish from my 10 gal at around 5 weeks when the tank was good. At that time I had 6 guppies & 1 Molly. Shortly after I added 3 more guppies & another molly. Then about 4 weeks ago I added 5 Nerite snails. 2 weeks ago added another guppy. About a week ago I added 2 swords to finish out my tank. Then on Friday noticed a big white spot on tail of sword. I was out of town for 2 days & when I got back the molly also had the spots. Ich! Since I have live plants & snails I searched for natural remedies & none available until Thursday delivery so I slowly (over 5 hours) upped my temp from 76 to 86 & added aquarium salt but less than recommended because was not sure about snails. I also added melafix while I wait for the Kordon Ich attack to arrive. I did remove the plants. I have added the melafix for 2 days.

In the past 2 days I have lost 3 snails & 1 guppy (the newest one). I did research & read the salt or melafix should not harm the snails. My tank is cloudy. Please help!! I don’t want to lose my last 2 snails or any more fish. On the bright side all the spots are gone except for the sword. I hope I included all pertinent info. Thanks!! Forgot, I have topfin 40 gal filter & airstone in the back.

Last edited:
I'll add you should do a light gravel vac with daily 25% water changes. Continue to Do this for 7-10 days after all your fish have no signs of ich.

Back
Top Bottom