Snails. Help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opie x fury

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not exactly sure what's going on in my tank after a day I noticed that every surface was covered and what looks like fish poop and I'm wondering because this is a fishless cycle how could anything be that big and a live in there and then I vacuumed up two snails very very tiny but I tried to dump a bunch of carbonatedwater in and I'm not seeing what everyone else said how the snails just race to the top I only ever saw two and I've been in front of this tank looking for hours how could they have covered every single surface in this Aquarium within a matter of days how many can there be and where are they they ... if they are in the gravel why is there so much poop all over my Hardscape on literally every piece of slate in every corner must be coming out of the gravel because the poop is the thickest on my Hardscape... since there are no fish in here but it is kind of planted a bit I don't want to add anything that's going to hurt the plants I did order a seachem something that would kill them but the only reason I want to kill them is because they started eating my plants I believe
Plz help
Not sure if you can see the poop in these pictures but I'm telling you is everywhere I thought that there would be like a hundred snails in there when I dumped in the carbonated water but nothing I have four tanks and even in my 20 gallon I have not seen poop built up like this in this 6 gallon since I've started at this is an insane amount of poop and I'm worried it's going to add much to my bio load

Attachments

• 20220401_202229.jpg
    20220401_202229.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220401_202225.jpg
    20220401_202225.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220402_202625.jpg
    20220402_202625.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220401_202246.jpg
    20220401_202246.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 24
Status...well that specific tank I poured a ton of carbonated water...and never saw anything alive...so maybe it wasn't snails because now I have about 10 in my 20 gallon and i took some out and put them in a cup of their own and the poop is extremely different looking. The ramshorn and bladder snails I have in 2 other tanks leave dark brown hard strings of poop and what I was seeing was light brown diff shaped pieces. Weird. I could have swon I saw one. But oh well. I had 3 tanks running no fish that were killing my power bill so I took them all down and put all plants into one. I'm keeping the bladder snail because its super fast and already completely cleaned every surface of algae in my 10 gallon.

Status...well that specific tank I poured a ton of carbonated water...and never saw anything alive...so maybe it wasn't snails because now I have about 10 in my 20 gallon and i took some out and put them in a cup of their own and the poop is extremely different looking. The ramshorn and bladder snails I have in 2 other tanks leave dark brown hard strings of poop and what I was seeing was light brown diff shaped pieces. Weird. I could have swon I saw one. But oh well. I had 3 tanks running no fish that were killing my power bill so I took them all down and put all plants into one. I'm keeping the bladder snail because its super fast and already completely cleaned every surface of algae in my 10 gallon.

They are good cleaners. I had one Bladder snail get the size of a thumb nail when in my pond. I like snails, not TOO many snails but some snails and they are helpful in the tank.

Did you think you had diatoms? They usually resolve over time. Water with silicates in it, like with sand and some stones and substrates help them multiply.

Glad the one snail was helpful for your algae issue!

Yes def think it was diatoms. Right I bet over time it woulda...for some reason the fungus that was growing on some wood in in 20 gallon...on my other postings.. I got some responses saying that it would have been totally go away but one month later the fungus or mold is still growing on the wood but only on the side that faces the lighting for some reason the snails are constantly on it eating but it seems to keep growing and gone from white to now a blue hue
Thinking of just taking it out and scrubbing it and boiling it

Maybe some hydrogen peroxide 3% type from the grocery or pharmacy. Pull out the icky stuck and give it a spray and scrub, let it sit for some time and then rinse scrub off the muck!

Also I am a big fan of Purigen. I realized after I moved a year ago, I didn't put the Purigen back into the tanks!!!
https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php

Back
Top Bottom