Snails not breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my main community tanks I had tanks explode with snails. I would pick them out and feed to my puffers. I decided to start a breeding tank for Mystery snails to feed my fahaka puffer as it gets bigger.

I set up a 20 long with 6 mystery snails, 12 pea sized pond snails, 3 ghost shrimp. And just for something to look at I have 1 GBR and 4 baby mollies. It has been a month and I don't see egg sacks anywhere. Do you think my Mollies or GBR are eating the eggs?

That's quite possible. Did you leave your water level about 2" below the the top of the tank? That's where the Mystery snails would lay their eggs. I have a female that will crawl into the domed hood of my 5.5g to lay eggs. As for the other type of snails, I rarely see their eggs, I just see the babies at some point. How much are you feeding? They tend to reproduce more when there's an abundance of food.

I have been over feeding and there is only about 1 inch from the top of the tank. maybe I need to take some water out.

Also, just as an FYI, if the tank is overcrowded, or the snails are stressed out, they are less likely to breed. I think that if you are still having issues, you should turn the tank into a solely snail/shrimp tank. Shrimp can be extremely entertaining when there aren't any fish in the tank. I have a shrimp/snail only tank and my snails and shrimp breed like crazy!! :D Also, keep the temperature between 78 and 80 degrees for maximum "seductive atmosphere". ;) This is what works for me, and I haven't had to overfeed them and dirty the water. I just feed them normally, and they breed with the lack of stress. I'd recommend red cherry shrimp for color and entertainment. :) Good luck!!!

~Artzechic~

Also, just as an FYI, if the tank is overcrowded, or the snails are stressed out, they are less likely to breed. I think that if you are still having issues, you should turn the tank into a solely snail/shrimp tank. Shrimp can be extremely entertaining when there aren't any fish in the tank. I have a shrimp/snail only tank and my snails and shrimp breed like crazy!! :D Also, keep the temperature between 78 and 80 degrees for maximum "seductive atmosphere". ;) This is what works for me, and I haven't had to overfeed them and dirty the water. I just feed them normally, and they breed with the lack of stress. I'd recommend red cherry shrimp for color and entertainment. :) Good luck!!!

~Artzechic~

Thanks for the suggestions. If they don't breed over the next week I can remove some of the fish.

So change of plans I was away for a week and a half and the water 3 inches below the rim and no breeding. The water filter sound is driving me nuts.

I found a bait shop near me the sells crayfish cheap so that is going to be my new food source for puffers.

The 20 long is going to stay as display tank 5 snails 4 female mollies and a GBR.

You might also try some fresh or live foods. Microworms, if you don't mind culturing them, or even some boiled spinach leaf or other green leaf veggie.

Not lettuce, not enough nutrition to be worth it. But my snails love boiled spinach, and they certainly eat the worms the fish miss. Microworms live for four days or more in the water, so don't ruin water. Also very, very small, hence the name.

Mystery snails prefer about 3 inches of bare glass to spawn on above water, or a hood covering the tank, which they'll lay on the underside of.

If you wish, you can gently remove egg masses when they harden and put in a 2 cup deli container, clear, with a damp paper towel in the bottom. Put some mesh or net, pebbles, something to stop the eggs touching the towel, cover with a lid that has just a couple of tiny pinholes in it, float this on the tank water to maintain temps.

When you see baby snails, get them into a tank as soon as possible. Takes a month or so for hatching to occur.

Back
Top Bottom