Snails? safe or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Son1cbo0m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i've just got a tank from a friend, its a 275litre tank, with live plants, discus, tetras catfish and pakastani loaches.
But recently i've come acros 4-5 of these TINY TEENY white snails, as i said theres only like 4-5 i can see but aren't my loaches supposed to get rid of them?
I'm worried for my plants safety, i know snails can be good, but is it worth the risk to my plants?
On another thought,
I'd liek to get some clown loaches, if i get 3 of them would they fit in with my 4 discus, tetras, other loaches catfish and red tail shark?

Hi and welcome to AA! If the online conversion is right, your tank is about 72 US gallons.

Other more experienced members can help you with your stocking and snail questions. Do you know what kind of snails they are and what kind of plants you have in the tank? That might help others answer your question.

How long has the tank been running before you got it? I'm assuming you are using the same filter, etc? You want to make sure your tank is cycled before doing anything else. Get your own liquid test kit like the API Master (not strips) and test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should be 0 and nitrates kept less than 40 (with weekly water changes). You'll need a good dechlorinator like Prime too.

Check out the link in my signature for more info. Good luck!

The snails will hurt nothing. They eat some algae and left over foods. They do not eat healthy plants. If you get to many you are adding too much food, I imagine your loaches will get them sooner or later.

^^ I agree, they are more of an eyesore than anything else (unless you like snails ofc lol). They are a nice indicator as to whether you're overfeeding. The last time I had too many I just didn't feed the fish for a couple of days and the population dwindled to a much more sightly level although they do only come out when the lights go off so I rarely see them anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom