Snails with Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoronaBlue

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone kept snails with African Ciclids? Wife saw some snails at the LFS and she wants some. I told her I didn't think it would be a good idea but thought I would ask.

I had an infest of small snail in my aquarium from some plants i had.The ones i had were, yellow lab, Jalo reef, & Pseudotropheus saulosi were in there & the next day the snails were pretty much gone. So, what do you have?

I have had large apple snails the size of golf balls and none of my fish from mbuna to central americans ever gave them a second glance. The smaller snails I would imagine would be toast.

Apple snails didnt do well in a friends 180g. Feeds them every other day. Fed them before putting the apple snail in and before you knew it, they were a pack of dogs going after it out of curiosity. Then the yellow labs stayed on him almost the whole time They keep picking at him when he keep moving. Had to take them out and put them in his ponds. These were big guys- so, it's gonna be a hit or miss

Ya I thought that would be answer. My 120 gallon has mix of Mbuna, Haps Peacocks.

I had two mystery snails that lasted for a while till one day both were dead, with shell still intact tho.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried they seem to last for a while but eventually they get taken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would think some of the larger snails like apple snails could stand a decent chance with your fish but it can't be set in stone. That's the thing with fish, especially cichlids. they're so unpredictable like and can be model citizens one day and a real menace the next day.

Back
Top Bottom