Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcran4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i am in the middle of cycling my tank and was doing a pwc tonight. right after i finished i saw a little snail crawling around on my glass. I am assuming he was on some of my live plants when I bought them. Is there any remedy to kill these things off before they take over the tank?

Remove him. Try putting out some cucumber or something to see if it attracts any others. Remove those too.
They won't take over the tank unless you overfeed though. I have "pest" snails in several tank, and I just leave them be. They don't eat plants, and they are kinda cute.

Mhm, some people like the snails. They eat excess waste, and won't get out of control unless there's too much stuff for them to eat lying around. If the aforementioned method doesn't work, there are a lot of fish species that simply eat them. It just depends on if you really want them gone or not.

At my LFS, they have driftwood with tons of snails on them, but I have two small catfish so even if I brought it home, I know I wouldn't have to struggle with it long. Probably serves for a tasty snack for them, too.

The cucumber will probably work though, if there's not much other food sources in the tank for them to eat, since you're cycling.

Back
Top Bottom