Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about breeding snails. I have a Black mystery snail already but I can't tell if he is a boy or girl, I'm pretty sure that he is a boy. Also I was wondering if there is a quick and easy way to tell gender from just look at them? and how to tell between an apple snail and mystery snail?

Thanks for the info. I have 10 gallon with a betta and my snail, how many more snails can I fit in? I only have a heater no filter. Also I kinda skimmed through the article and didn't find anything about breeding in it, so I'll do some research on it. ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Mystery snails produce a lot of waste, so before you get any more I suggest getting a filter. Aquaclear makes a good one as does Fluval. You will need a male and female. I don't think its possible to tell them apart until you see mating or one laying the eggs. You need a lid on the tank as the snails will sometimes climb out to lay eggs. The eggs are laid above the water line and should not get wet. Another reason for the lid is to keep the humidity in the tank for the eggs- this is all they require. The baby snails are very hard to see when they first hatch but as they grow you will have a ton. Mystery snails have to be a bit on the larger side before they will mate and are fertile.

I found a way to tell male or female and I have a male. Also here is my setup, I have a glass hood that you can't see in the picture.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418948475.857919.jpg

Will a filter be ok with a betta? Also I figured out I have an apple snail ( if they aren't the same thing ).

It is actually better to use a filter in a betta tank! If the current is too strong tie a plant in front of the flow and it will spread out the water flow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agreed, bettas need clean water or they get fin rot easily.

How do you tell the male from female without seeing them mate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I'll put a filter in, I have a couple really good ones.
Here is how to determine gender.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418999079.490348.jpg

Ok so I put the filter in and my betta seems fine with it. So with this filter how many snails could I have? I was thinking 2 more? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419001332.429917.jpg

Thanks for posting that. You could probably add two more just stay on top of your water changes. Watch for snails crawling out where there is the gap between the glass and the tank.

for some reason both my snail died shortly after I bought them

Maybe check your parameters. Snails need a ph of 7.0.

Yes I did test before I put them in and it was 7 so I may have just bought bad snails

Back
Top Bottom