Snake/rope/reed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoHearn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a rope fish a week ago and I still have not seen it eat. I am offering bloodworms that the shop fed it but no joy. Could someone please advise? Thanks

Make sure you put the food right in front of them since they have such poor eye sight. Also feed them after light is off since they are nocturnal. I feed mine live Ghost shrimp, i would try that.

This is a fish I would recommend making sure is eating prepared foods before you bring him home. When I had one, he liked any kind of sinking food (shrimp pellets and Tetra tablet food). As the previous poster said, they have poor eyesight and hunt based on scent. One I had once grabbed a clown loach by the tail at feeding time.

I feed my fish meal worms. When he was small I fed him ghost shrimp, and hikari bloodworm frozen cubes. Now he eats meal worms, and flathead minnows. Meal worms are more nutritious, and easier for him to grab and eat, although he has no problem catching minnows, even with his near blind eye sight. Unless your fish is sick, it'll eat when it's hungry. Mine wants food all the time.

Make sure yor tank is firmly covered. My uncle had one of these and it pushed up the lid and got out and then died. That's the only experience I have had with these fish and I thought I would just add that in :)

Thanks all, I will try ghost shrimp and sinking food.

Back
Top Bottom