Snowflake eel not doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My snowflake eel is acting very sick. He looks a little bloated and is breathing hard. He was up side down two days ago, I hooked up my UV sterilizer and he looks a little better today he even came out to swim around a bit. but now he is back to just lying there breathing hard. He is right side up but still not looking well.
I feed him 2-3 times a week up until now, but now he will not take his food.

What are your water parameters? How much food and what type of food are you feeding the Eel at each meal? What size is the Snowflake? Also what size tank is the Eel in?

check if hes breathing from both gills,they can get food cought in thier neck(if the even have necks i guess)and ya check the amonia and nitrates if thier high add some prime to the water if you have some it helps nutralize nitrates short term.but change a bunch of water to fix it,check your temp and salinity mabey see if thier has been any big changes.

Shrimp Squid and fish is what I feed him. about once every three days.
Is this to much? My water is all good I just tested it a min ago. No other fish are having any problems. :?:

I just looked at him and both of his gills are open but he is fat from his head back to his anus, but not his tail. I bet its over feeding. Their metabolism is very slow right? Maybe if I leave him alone he will digest and be OK? He is active when he needs to be. He swam out and away from my hand when I was holding him. I didn't want to stress him out so I didn't chase and let him go back to his place where he is resting. :( I hope he makes it. Poor little Morie.

He's In a 55gal with other fish, 30 lbs LR and 120 lbs of LS. Two tangs Atlantic and yellow. both very health. Four clown's yellow wrasse, Four damsel, one harlequin star, one peppermint shrimp. The only fish over two inch are the tangs, and him, Morie the snowflake eel. everthing else is two inch or smaller.
Yes I am pretty much max out on fish for the tank but none of my tests ever come back at harmful levels.

What are harmful levels? Your tank is indeed overstocked and I would be quite suprised if the NO3 (or other nitrogens) where not at elevated levels.

In regard to the eels problem, it may be "plugged up", hard to be sure. You should definately skip the fish from it's diet. The fatty tissues are not the best thing for it and can lead to this issue especially if FW feeders. Stick to crustacean flesh for the most part and try to sneek in some veggie matter occationally. Feeding should be about 2x a week and feed until the eel is satiated.

I would in the mean time suggest several large water changes with well aged/aerated SW. It can often do wonders where no immediate cure is available. I think it's just a matter of wait and see but please post you water quality numbers as soon as possible.

Cheers
Steve

Yes I think he is plugged up. He is very fat, from head back.
PH 8.2
Nitrate maybe 10mg/l if not less
Nitrite 0.0mg/l
Ammona 0.0mg/l
Alkalinity 300 ppm

Try the water changes and no feedings for the short term. Once the blockage passes, the eel should recover as long as it does not develope an internal bacterial infection from the overabundance of undigested meat.

If the gurth grows in size, you will want to QT the eel and treat with a good gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn II at double dose daily for 7 full days should do. Gentamycin may be a better option. You can also lower the salinity to help ease the stress of the fish some. All must be done in a QT though, preferabley cycled.

Cheers
Steve

:cry: My eel died. Poor Morie. I found my harlequin star eating him. I gave him a proper toilet burial.
I will get another Snowflake when I set up my 125gal. My MH ballast are on the way. should be here tomorrow. Now to get 3 175w bulbs, 180gal skimmer, a VHO or PC ballast for atinics, setup/construct my sump and fuge. Much work to be done. It will come with time...and money.

Back
Top Bottom