So mad right now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my brand new 29g tank which is 3 weeks into the cycle has started to leak! I thought it might have been from me topping of the tank so I dired it and about an hour later its wet! I think it might be the bottom seam because it ilooks like it is coming up between the glass and metal frame in the front. I guess what I am going to do is put the filter on another tank that is currently cycling(will this screw up the cycle on the other tank? or is it better to put the filter on an established tank?) and put all the substrate in a bucket and cover with water.I am so pissed right now! Is this the right way to do this? Am I missing anything??

Keep drying it off and give it some time. Sometimes water will get into the bottom seal between the glass and the frame if you spill water on it and will make it appear to be leaking. I'd keep a close eye on it, keep it dried off and keep checking it, at least until tommorow.

The way the tanks are constructed, a leaky seam in the bottom usually leak down beneath the tank, rather than up in the trim. It is possible that this is spilled water, but more likely is some leak from the top. Perhaps a small side seam leak is dripping down to the bottom trim. Another possibility is too high a water level in the tank, & water is siphoning by capillary action over the top under the top frame. (Happened to me in a 10 gal ...)

One way to test is to drop your water level to below the top trim ... so it is not touching the top trim & siphoning out. Also, run a dry tissue paper around the vertical seams to see if you get any water.

If the tank continues to leak, You would be wise to return it. I would run the filter in an established tank. The filter will be seeded in the tank & speed up your cycling efforts down the road.

I dropped the water level some and dried it off again, so I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully is was just a newb mistake of over filling. But if it does leak atleast now I will have an excuse to change over to sand.

Back
Top Bottom