So over the mini ramshorns…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I’ve had mini ramshorn snails in my sons guppy tank for ages. The tiny ones that don’t get bigger than a mm or two. They didn’t really bother me at first but lately I’ve decided that I’m over them. I am well aware that they are quite beneficial to the ecosystem but I just don’t like them

I like mystery snails and nerites but I just don’t like the random little ones whose breeding I can’t really control!

I’m moving and so will be breaking down the tank, moving it and setting it back up. I don’t overfeed, so there aren’t a lot of them but I’m sure there are eggs everywhere.

Any experience with snail killing dips for plants and filter media? Anything that will get rid of the snails/eggs without completely destroying the bio filter bacteria? I can move all the snails I want to keep into another tank easily, but just not really sure how to get rid of whatever mini ramshorn eggs are on … probably everything

Honestly I’m thinking about just using all new substrate and dipping then quarantining any plants and just letting the filter dry out. I have an identical filter running on my qt that I can use instead. I’m only moving guppy fry back into this tank so the bioload should be small enough that the qt filter can handle it without too much of a mini cycle.

The more I think about it the more I just want to start fresh to save myself from having these guys just come back.

Starting fresh is usually the better option on something like that. When I haven't started fresh, same old problems likely move along to the newer tank. I am kicking my own rear for using some old plants in my brand, brand new shrimp tank (new tank and substrate same old plants). although it didn't look like there was any, got a bunch of previously annoying algae that had "gone away" - NOT.

I went ahead and gave away (with proper disclaimers) all the substrate and plants in the guppy tank then just rinsed with hot water and let any decor I wanted to keep dry for a few days between transport and set up. Haven’t seen a mini ramshorn in there since.

I still see one every few days in my shrimp tank so I know they’re still in there, but none of the other tanks have them now.

I lost one bamboo shrimp when I moved the tanks (a couple days later, so most likely related, but that’s it. I’m going to call that a win because I was expecting them to struggle with the huge water change, even though I added the new water slowly.

I actually thought I was losing more and they were just being eaten because I was seeing fewer shrimp in the tank. Then I replaced my HOB filter with a nano canister. The intake was covered but I guess they were climbing into the outflow because a dozen shrimp were ‘rescued’ from the filter media basket.

My bamboo shrimp aren’t happy with me about the loss of the HOB because the flow is quite a bit lower with the little nano canister. And I keep moving the outflow so they have to find a new spot. Sorry guys, lol. But this tank is right next to my bed and I was done with waterfall noises at night!

Yeah I usually find one or two, not sure what happened that so many got in this time! I’m just glad to see them healthy! Due to my history of having health issues in my last group I get real nervous when shrimp start disappearing!

Back
Top Bottom