So.. Weird day.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Woke up and all my fish were good to go. I came home from work and 4 of my 6 zebra danios were dead with their guts eaten out. Here is my stock list. It's been this way for months. This is the first problem I've had this way.

2 swordtails
6 now 2 danios
6 harlequin rasboras
1 crown tail beta
1 zebra nerita snail
Did someone decide to go on a murder spree? My water params were good. 0 amon, 0 nitrite, 10-20 ppm nitrates. Ph has always been 8.0-8.2. I didn't see any parasites or diseases. It's a 20g H. Let me know please.

(btw I did a 40% wc just to be safe and cleaned the filter media in old tank water).

I suspect either your swordtails or Betta. Probably your Betta because swordtails are usually good tankmates for zebra danios. The danios' activity could have made the Betta snap.....Also, danios can be nippy so they could have been messing with the Betta and gotten revenge:eek:

bud29 said:
I suspect either your swordtails or Betta. Probably your Betta because swordtails are usually good tankmates for zebra danios. The danios' activity could have made the Betta snap.....

Like a buildup of stress or something? It's weird because they've been together for months. What are good slower or calmer fish for the tank with a beta? My gf likes guppies but that wouldn't be a good idea right? Bc of the big fins?

bud29 said:
Also, danios can be nippy so they could have been messing with the Betta and gotten revenge:eek:

Good point but his fins still look full to me and not stressed but who knows.

Yeah I believe the fast fish stress them out. Neon tetras normally get along with Bettas. And some people have kept guppies with a Betta, but it's not recommended as they are flashy and colorful and the Betta thinks of them as rivals.

bud29 said:
Yeah I believe the fast fish stress them out. Neon tetras normally get along with Bettas. And some people have kept guppies with a Betta, but it's not recommended as they are flashy and colorful and the Betta thinks of them as rivals.

Ah ok well I'll have to look at some new options for the tank then. I'll take the danios back so they can be sold in a school again bc I doubt they will be happy with just 2 of them and I don't want them to be next on the menu.

Yeah that's probably the best thing to do. Then to replace the danios you could get a school of 10-12 neons. Large shoals of neons look quite impressive(y)

bud29 said:
Yeah that's probably the best thing to do. Then to replace the danios you could get a school of 10-12 neons. Large shoals of neons look quite impressive(y)

That sounds like a good plan but I think I want to put a school of them in my 40g. What's another good option?

Sorry I'm being so persistent on neons, but is there any place in your area that sells black, green, or gold neons? If so you could get a school of one of those types so they will look different than the school in your 40 but still be ultimately the same fish.

bud29 said:
Sorry I'm being so persistent on neons, but is there any place in your area that sells black, green, or gold neons? If so you could get a school of one of those types so they will look different than the school in your 40 but still be ultimately the same fish.

No worries lol. And I'm not sure I'll have to look into it. I'm planning to go to a lfs that's not really that local so I'll have to see what they have. I've only been there once.

Back
Top Bottom